THE TANK TRAVELS THE WORLD-PHOTOS AND REPORTS TO COME

Started by Dominick, November 04, 2015, 07:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Awesome report Chris, yes I would call that a great day on the water.
The gears on the Tank were replaced when I got it back the last time, not that they were needed, I wanted to increase the drags a little.
You will notice they will get quieter as you keep using it.
It makes sense about pulling the hook twice, a longer leader should cure it. If you wanted to load it up with straight mono, go for it, I will replace the braid for Dominick.
Thanks again for doing this, I hope you're enjoying fishing with the Tank.
Can't wait for your next report.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Too cool, beautiful fishing area.  Thanks for sharing and congrats!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

thorhammer

Fantastic!!!!! A high bar set from the get-go both in terms of the catch, Tank performance and especially a superb write-up / pics!!! Well done Chris!!!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Rothmar2

No worries guys, it's a pleasure to share with everyone here.
Dominick, the rod was a Penn Torque, 30-50lb, 5'6" single piece jig stick.
Will be using a trolling rod for the swords and tuna in the future. I will be spooling off the 80lb JB to a storage spool, and reloading with a 50lb braid. We will need about 6-700 yards of line for the swords to reach the bottom so we can break-away the drop weight. The braid I have in mind is super thin, and should be able to get the length required spooled on.
   Dom, seeing as I'll be away from mid-Jan to late Feb, I will send the reel to Mike in Queensland for this period, if that's OK with you? He is conjuring up some torture sessions for the Tank.

Dominick

Quote from: Rothmar2 on December 17, 2015, 09:30:59 PM
   Dom, seeing as I'll be away from mid-Jan to late Feb, I will send the reel to Mike in Queensland for this period, if that's OK with you? He is conjuring up some torture sessions for the Tank.
Absolutely send it off.  See if he can put a hurting on it.  I don't know why you would want to remove the 80lb braid though.  Ask Mike before you do.  I don't mind you doing it I am just curious.  There is room on the reel to put a longer leader on it.  BTW I got the Sumo Handle from Alan when the group had dinner at my house but I don't think there are any more around.  I will post in the WTB section to see if any are available.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mhc

Thanks Dom, I will try to give the tank a relaxing warm water holiday before Chris tackles the cold water bruisers he has in mind. If nothing else I'll get a few postcard shots with it. I did notice in the report from Chris that he, and the crew, had a shirt on in every shot - is that allowed?
With the line, I think Chris wants to step down to a thin 50 braid for the extra line capacity to reach the swords - I'm happy with the 80 JB but will go with the 50 if Chris wants to re-spool it before he passes it on.  
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Dominick

Go for it Mike.  I think the 80lb line stresses the Tank, which we want.  I don't think it can be over stressed with 80lbs.  I think 50lbs is under utilizing the reel but Chris can use it any way he wants.  I think he wants 50lbs so it does not break any more rods  ;D ;D Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rothmar2

Mike, it won't be much longer and the Polar-fleeces and snow jackets will make an appearance!
Spot on with the reasoning about switching lines, but I will send the Tank to you with the 80lb JB still on it. I'll re-spool to 50lb when I get it back off you. Still a good chance I'll get another trip in the next couple of weeks.
Dom, the Tank is a "small" reel for sword-fishing. I know that by using 50lb braid, we won't be stressing the reel to its limits, but I think it will be very cool to say the Tank has caught a sword on its tour.
   BTW, I have purchased a log-book to send with the reel, and will make signed entries as I fish it, and log the days it goes travelling to its next assignment. I figure this will make a nice momento for you Dom.

Dominick

Quote from: Rothmar2 on December 18, 2015, 06:59:37 PM
Mike, it won't be much longer and the Polar-fleeces and snow jackets will make an appearance!
Spot on with the reasoning about switching lines, but I will send the Tank to you with the 80lb JB still on it. I'll re-spool to 50lb when I get it back off you. Still a good chance I'll get another trip in the next couple of weeks.
Dom, the Tank is a "small" reel for sword-fishing. I know that by using 50lb braid, we won't be stressing the reel to its limits, but I think it will be very cool to say the Tank has caught a sword on its tour.
   BTW, I have purchased a log-book to send with the reel, and will make signed entries as I fish it, and log the days it goes travelling to its next assignment. I figure this will make a nice momento for you Dom.
Chris, the Tank handled a marlin in the 150 lb range with no problem.  It is small but tough.  It would be great to have a sword under its belt.  The log is a good idea.  Make it a small book to keep the shipping weight down.  Dominick

conchydong

Dominick, if they are fishing for Swords in the daytime like we do in Florida, which is becoming popular in Oz, the smaller diameter braid allows you to use a less weight when dropping up to 2000' deep with strong currents. A lot more convenient when hand cranking. 50lb braid, in most cases will still break over 60lb or more.  Capacity would also be a major issue on a 4/0.
If they are tossing live bait to swords that are basking like they do in California, than that would a different scenario.

Newell Nut

Great report and a fun looking trip. That sure was some pretty scenery to fish it.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on December 18, 2015, 11:42:26 PM
Quote from: Rothmar2 on December 18, 2015, 06:59:37 PM
Chris, the Tank handled a marlin in the 150 lb range with no problem.  It is small but tough.  It would be great to have a sword under its belt.  The log is a good idea.  Make it a small book to keep the shipping weight down.  Dominick
The log book is a great idea, Chris. Lets not worry about shipping costs, can't put a price on something as valuable as this. Besides, if we all chip in, it won't be too bad!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Great report Chris - cheers.
Pedra Branca holds a pretty fearsome wave from time to time too, if you don't mind re-entering the food chain ;)
Really looking forward to the next installment of the Tank's 'Grand Tour'.
Cheers Dominick and Sal for making it happen - easily 'Thread of the year'!
Merry Christmas lads, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Merry Christmas Justin, to you and family.
Don't hear much from you lately, but as long as you're doing good, that fine with me.
Stay well pal.

Sal