Man on the catolog

Started by The Great Maudu, November 07, 2015, 06:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

That's a good idea. I'll have to send my thumb back to school though. I like the name wizz bang. I think that's what I'll call her if you don't mind - Wizz Bang

Penn Chronology

Wizz Bang it is! Another first. I never knew anyone that named their surf rig.

I have two split cane surf rods. Both are retired, one is a wall hangar, which goes from one side of the room:

to the other side, about ten feet.

The other will soon be hanging underneath this one.

I think it is so cool that you still fish with the old cane rod and that you have it customized with your, gifted at birth, gold toe ring. That is classic! ;D

I never even considered the dangers of surf casting with braid. All my conventional surf casting was done with mono. I have a conventional surf rod that I can use today: but, of course it is a fiberglass rod and it is lined with mono. I still prefer mono line over braid except for spinning reels. Never needed a glove for mono, did need to develop a calloused thumb and keep the line wet.

CapeFish

Quote from: The Great Maudu on December 02, 2015, 01:05:07 PM
That's a good idea. I'll have to send my thumb back to school though. I like the name wizz bang. I think that's what I'll call her if you don't mind - Wizz Bang

LOL we sometimes call overwinds that, when you here the line making a louder, wizzing noise you know there is trouble coming and then you have to thumb the spool very quickly or else the next noise is a bang!

CapeFish

Quote from: Penn Chronology on December 02, 2015, 02:24:28 PM
Wizz Bang it is! Another first. I never knew anyone that named their surf rig.

I have two split cane surf rods. Both are retired, one is a wall hangar, which goes from one side of the room:

to the other side, about ten feet.

The other will soon be hanging underneath this one.

I think it is so cool that you still fish with the old cane rod and that you have it customized with your, gifted at birth, gold toe ring. That is classic! ;D

I never even considered the dangers of surf casting with braid. All my conventional surf casting was done with mono. I have a conventional surf rod that I can use today: but, of course it is a fiberglass rod and it is lined with mono. I still prefer mono line over braid except for spinning reels. Never needed a glove for mono, did need to develop a calloused thumb and keep the line wet.

that's a magnificent old rod. There was an hour long video on youtube of people spinning with Penn 49s and 49a for yellow tail and tuna from the famous Cape Point ledges where I think the Penn 49a was born, unfortunately it has been closed. Unbelievable how many yellow tail were caught, there was one big tuna in the video that came out on what looked like a 49a, but the rod was most likely an old fiber glass rod.

bluefish69

I see a lot of great reels on the wall even a picture of a Wrestler. I don't see a U Need A brand of Side Winder. These are to this day one of the best Black Fish reels. Just wish I did pictures, I just bought a copy made of Derlin & Brass.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

sdlehr

I'm with Mike, nice reel collection. Is that a rosewood handle knob on the top shelf?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

coastal_dan

Beautiful collection and pictures Mike C.

Mike (Bluefish)  I've been hearing about them recently, basically a 1:1 ration right?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Dominick

The man on the catalog looks like my Uncle Vinnie looked in the 1940s.  He died several years ago so I cannot ask him if he was a magazine model.  I am being serious.  If that were he the family would have known about it and it would have been talked about over the years.  So I have to say it is not my Uncle Vinnie.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

Quote from: coastal_dan on December 02, 2015, 10:01:00 PM
Beautiful collection and pictures Mike C.

Mike (Bluefish)  I've been hearing about them recently, basically a 1:1 ration right?

I bought a New one that is being made in Brooklyn & only sold in one place. Sometimes you see a member here had something with the design [Professa]. I bought the 5 1/4" one that I was told to buy by a Old Capt. & friend in Sheepshead Bay. $180

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Dominick on December 02, 2015, 10:18:45 PM
The man on the catalog looks like my Uncle Vinnie looked in the 1940s.  He died several years ago so I cannot ask him if he was a magazine model.  I am being serious.  If that were he the family would have known about it and it would have been talked about over the years.  So I have to say it is not my Uncle Vinnie.  Dominick

Can you produce a photo of said uncle, so the qualified members here may have the opportunity to judge the resemblance for themselves?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThere was an hour long video on youtube of people spinning with Penn 49s and 49a for yellow tail and tuna from the famous Cape Point ledges where I think the Penn 49a was born, unfortunately it has been closed. Unbelievable how many yellow tail were caught, there was one big tuna in the video that came out on what looked like a 49a, but the rod was most likely an old fiber glass rod.

I do not want to steal this thread. The fishing you are talking about happened in South Africa in the 1950's

I wrote a article about the South African surf fishing for the Reels News. Here is page 2 of the article, if you want to read the entire article it has been reprinted in the Penn Companion--Green Book, available at the Whitefish Pres.com.....

Yes, that is a Rosewood handle Senator 9/0

The Great Maudu

This 49A with box might have been set up for tuna but it was never used.

Mike C, I only recently started using braid on Wizz Bang. Normally I use 20# mono but changed over because bigger Rays were not letting me pull them over the first sandbar. I'll line another spool with 20# and keep the 50 for when the Rays start menacing again.

Dominick

Quote from: Tightlines666 on December 02, 2015, 11:06:46 PM
Quote from: Dominick on December 02, 2015, 10:18:45 PM

Can you produce a photo of said uncle, so the qualified members here may have the opportunity to judge the resemblance for themselves?
John, no can do.  I changed households too many times.  Photos never made it.  :'( Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.