Penn 113h 4/0 yts conversion

Started by Dee84cali, November 14, 2015, 10:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee84cali

Hey fellas new to the forum.. I have a penn 4/0 that I want to convert to yts with 4:1 gears. Will be using for jigging of the yak. what would be the pros & cons? From what I read and understood was its gonna be lighter,faster,stronger.

vilters

that reel would be a good choice for jigging from your yak. if you use Tiburon or accurate frame/spool, you will not save weight, but reel will be narrower and stronger. newell yts kit is lighter, but those parts have been out of production for years and can only be sourced used. either way, one of my favorite reels, and will serve your purpose well.

handi2

The 112H 3/0 does very well too fishing from the Kayak. I've built 4 of them and they love them.

Not as strong but smaller and lighter and plenty strong enough.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

STRIPER LOU

Hi Dee, as the other gentlemen had said the Tib framed is a bit heavier and the Newell conversion is a bit lighter. In a 4/0 these are very strong reels and I have caught tuna up too 100lbs. on them. The 3/0 might also work for you. If you would like some pics please let me know as I have several 4/0 newell yts conversions and some Tib yts conversions. Also have a 3/0 tib narrow. This might give you some idea's.
As for the Newell Stuff if that's the way you decide to go I would suggest contacting Randy (Vintage Offshore Tackle). I have purchased newell goodies from him, both new and used and have always been more than satisfied. If you have never dealt with Randy before, great guy, honest, and fair. Lots of guys and gals on the forum use him.
.......................Lou

Alto Mare

With the availability of custom parts, you'll do much better with a fully loaded Jigmaster. The Jigmaster is a little stronger than the 3/0.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MarkT

A 4/0 is rugged and you need that on a yak. Still, you might be better off using the 4/0 for slow trolling a bait or for dropper loop and getting a Torium 20 for yoyo. You can get a used Torium for what it would cost for the 4/0 upgrades.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Dee84cali

Thanks fellas.. I've changed my mind like 10 times in the past 2 days on what to do, lol... Let me ask u guys this if u have $200 bucks and most of ur fishing is off a kayak preferably vertical jigging and fly lining what reel would u recommend? I figured sell my 4/0 buy a built yts 4/0 and I'm set! What's ur u guys opinion?

Alto Mare

Good reels mentioned above, but if I were you, I would go with the Jigmaster. Being on a kayak, you'll be better off with a reel with no ball bearings.
Don't worry about dunking it...it won't let you down.
The Jigmaster reminds us of that old Timex commercial" it takes a licking and keeps on ticking". ;D

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Dee84cali on November 16, 2015, 12:17:33 AM
Thanks fellas.. I've changed my mind like 10 times in the past 2 days on what to do, lol... Let me ask u guys this if u have $200 bucks and most of ur fishing is off a kayak preferably vertical jigging and fly lining what reel would u recommend? I figured sell my 4/0 buy a built yts 4/0 and I'm set! What's ur u guys opinion?

Easy a Penn Fathom 25N star drag. I like the faster 6:1 gears for the yoyo iron and spectra backed you will have plenty of line. MSRP is a bit over the price your looking to pay but shop around I'm sure you can find a brand new one at the $200 mark or even lower.

I use 30 lb test on mine but you could use 40. Here are couple of yellows I caught on the iron this year, granted not from a yak but the reel handles the fish fine.

The fish on the right of the photo is about 5 lbs bigger than the one on the left. It's hard to tell because of the angle the fish was held.

Edit: Also with the frespool right out of the box this reel makes a well above average reel to flyline bait with, but if you hang around here long enough and start to clean and lube spool bearings you can make it even better.

MarkT

You should be able to find a Fathom 2-speed for $200. A single speed should be less. I love my Fathom 25nld2 for 40#, both yoyo and bait.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

vilters

since you say you want a reel for jigging AND flylining bait, I've gotta go with Sal on this one. a 4/0 is not going to flyline a bait easily, though I've seen it done by some old pros. a jigmaster with a lighter aluminum spool, especially one made by newell will. set it up with 5:1 gearset, stainless sleeve, and some of the other upgrades and you will be set. also, as mentioned, a reel without bearings is great for kayak fishing, as it will get wet and sandy.

basto

Another reel with bushings instead of bearings and also has a corrosion proof body is the Shimano 15/30 and 20/40 star drags., all stainless gears and 5.2:1 gear ratio. Very low maintenance and reliable.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

LTM

Quote from: basto on November 16, 2015, 09:29:47 PM
Another reel with bushings instead of bearings and also has a corrosion proof body is the Shimano 15/30 and 20/40 star drags., all stainless gears and 5.2:1 gear ratio. Very low maintenance and reliable.
Unfortunately, the above mentioned reels "DO" have bearings. Two bearings come stock and most add a 3rd to the spool shaft (behind the spool tension knob). However I think the smaller with brad would be a great "value" ball bearing reel to put on a yak. Maintenance is super easy, graphite frame, stainless gears/guts, casts like a dream, needs cf drags and a grip and you got it. Used for about $70 plus Alans grip and cf drags you can have it all for about $125

Leo

handi2

Quote from: Dee84cali on November 16, 2015, 12:17:33 AM

This might not be the correct place to comment but I do have a Jigmaster 500 with everything you can put in it plus all new parts. It's just sitting on the shelf with many others. I will post in the for sale section when I figure out what everything cost ???

I also have a like new Fathom 25N star drag I don't need.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

coastal_dan

The jiggy 501 to me has become my go to kayak and boat reel.  Infinite upgrades, fun to fish and down right sexy.  PLENTY of line capacity, the 500 to me is too wide.  My 501 has 450 yds of 50 lb braid.  I also use it deep dropping for sea bass and blue line tilefish.  The 501 is my FAVORITE Penn reel of all time, just a personal thing ;).  I just sold one to a friend and he uses it Togging off the rocks and off his small boat, every time I see him he comments about how awesome the reel is.

Good luck in your choice.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...