Penn Mag Tuned 10

Started by Alto Mare, November 14, 2015, 11:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

Great job Sal  8) Looks like you reduced the gap between Alan knob shank and the SS arm  :)

Marc..

mo65

I love these little reels...congrats Sal on making yours even better! I prefer a levelwind for most of my fishing. As I'm a river fisherman, super long casts just land on the opposite bank...LOL! A jigmaster/squidder/surfmaster reguires a heavy thumb to control distance. That levelwind helps keep skin on my thumb! ;D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

hurt locker

Quote from: Decker on May 19, 2016, 03:49:46 PM
Sal, thanks.  Two questions: 1) Does a brass dog wear out fast on an SS sleeve? I ask because I'm putting an SS sleeve on my Squidder.   2) Is there a replacement bar available for removing the levelwind?  Thanks again.

Here is a pic of the spacer bar that I made a few years ago for one of my Mag 10's. Got the idea from a thread on the Eastern Coast stripers forum. Don't remember the fellas name but he was knowledgeable and he also mentioned that if you remove the level wind that you will need a second magnet because it was real fast.

mo65

Quote from: hurt locker on June 30, 2016, 06:16:43 PM
Here is a pic of the spacer bar that I made a few years ago for one of my Mag 10's. Got the idea from a thread on the Eastern Coast stripers forum. Don't remember the fellas name but he was knowledgeable and he also mentioned that if you remove the level wind that you will need a second magnet because it was real fast.

I'd say yes, unless you're a very accomplished caster removing the levelwind assembly will necessitate another magnet. What you'll have then is a 4:1 geared Squidder 146, the reel everyone keeps asking for!  8)

thorhammer

Love my 10's and I think that was a 210 you showed Mo; if you ever don't want it pm me. 

John

hurt locker

Quote from: mo65 on June 30, 2016, 08:15:20 PM

I'd say yes, unless you're a very accomplished caster removing the levelwind assembly will necessitate another magnet. What you'll have then is a 4:1 geared Squidder 146, the reel everyone keeps asking for!  8)
They cast far enough for me just like they are. If I ever need a reel to reach out further then I will remove the level wind and put the spacer in. I have both 10's and 210's but have been using the 210's for lead core. Might consider putting the 210's on Tiger rods for Blue Cats. Have the 10's on Channel Cat rods for Lake Erie. Work great.

By the way Sal, Beautiful Job and thanks for all the info and Pics.

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on June 30, 2016, 08:18:05 PM
Love my 10's and I think that was a 210 you showed Mo; if you ever don't want it pm me. 

If you're referring to that post I made in the "show your collection" thread...yes...that's a 210. I'm in the process of hopping it up now. There's also a Mag 10 in that pic...bottom right.

Quote from: Keta on November 15, 2015, 02:20:43 AM
I'll look for them, they were all in my 10 and worked.  I cut some for the 210 too.

I'd be interested in one of those 210 dogs if you still have them.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Decker on May 19, 2016, 03:49:46 PM
Sal, thanks.  Two questions: 1) Does a brass dog wear out fast on an SS sleeve? I ask because I'm putting an SS sleeve on my Squidder.   2) Is there a replacement bar available for removing the levelwind?  Thanks again.
Sorry Decker, I never saw your question.
I would say the brass dog wears at the same rate on the stainless steel gear sleeve and a brass sleeve. A stainless steel dog and sleeve would be a good option.
I believe others have answered your other question on removing the levelwind.

Thanks guys!
The 10 is a nice little reel.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on June 30, 2016, 08:15:20 PM

I'd say yes, unless you're a very accomplished caster removing the levelwind assembly will necessitate another magnet. What you'll have then is a 4:1 geared Squidder 146, the reel everyone keeps asking for!  8)

I agree that this is probably better than a Squidder 146.  Adding a magnet should be a cinch.  Who can make a batch of bars?? :D