Old School (1970's) Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000 Bearing Conversion

Started by steelheadtom, November 23, 2015, 01:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelheadtom

Hello All...I have an immaculate Garcia Ambassadeur 5000 (old school red, with the white pearl type handle grips)...I want to replace the brass spool bushings with ceramic bearings....what size bearings should I order from Boca? Thanks

day0ne

If I recall correctly, they don't make the correct sized bearing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong,
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Robert Janssen

Well, not wrong, but i wouldn't be surprised if they actually do now. I was chatting with the Boca guy about that a while back (just coincidence;  i have no particular interest in them or those bearings) so they may very well have.

tholmes

I read on another forum that Boca is now stocking these bearings. I haven't checked their website, but if it's true, I'll be ordering a couple of sets soon!

Tom

PacRat

They do make these but I don't remember the size. I'm guessing the size is on their website because I ordered them without difficulty. I'll see if I can find the size for you.

PacRat

ID 3mm x OD 10mm x Width 4mm I believe this is the size I used. I'll follow up when I get home.

PacRat

...on second thought. I would suggest ignoring my dimensions and just mic. your existing bearing. That first dimension was from the Boca website. I mic.'ed my own bushings fro a red 5000 and came up with 4 I.D. x 10 O.D. x 4 Wide. My reel does not have pearl handles. The older 5000 my have thinner shaft ends as they [Boca] also lists this 0.125 I.D. x 0.375 O.D. x 0.156 Wide. Good luck.