Marble'd Acrylic knobs MORE ADDITIONS

Started by STRIPER LOU, February 10, 2016, 11:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbar45

Tiddlerbasher

Chad - Stabilised woods are  very strong, including burrs - It is effectively acrylic with wood fibres in it. It can't rot and salt water doesn't affect it. It's the only wood I use on knife handles (some tool handles as well) and I now have my own stabilising equipment :)

cbar45

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 11, 2016, 09:33:22 AM
Chad - Stabilised woods are  very strong, including burrs - It is effectively acrylic with wood fibres in it. It can't rot and salt water doesn't affect it. It's the only wood I use on knife handles (some tool handles as well) and I now have my own stabilising equipment :)

Awesome, thanks for the info Tiddlerbasher.

Lou I sent you a msg.

Chad

coastal_dan

Oh man they are stunning!  Show stoppers for sure, well done and thanks for sharing!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

STRIPER LOU

Hey Tiddlebasher, thanks for the insight on the stabilized wood. Very interesting. I didn't realize it was pumped with acrylic resins! Looks fairly expensive also. Will have to order some up and try it.

One of the problems with short pieces is it doesn't give you much to hold it buy when turning, requiring a small arbor to be used and that adds time to the process.
Thanks,  ..  lou

STRIPER LOU

Steve, on the polishing, Mill smooth file to remove minor imperfections. 200, 320, 600, 1000, and 1500 wet or dry paper using water. Automotive polishing compound, 2 grades, and a couple of grades of plastic polish. Maybe sounds like a lot but looks amazing when finished.
.....................Lou

Tiddlerbasher

Chad - Knife handle blanks (stabilised) is probably the way to go. There should be plenty of wood for chucking. But your right they aren't cheap - depends on the wood. Desert iron wood can cost $70 -$150 a throw. I would start with the cheapest you can find for practice. Don't be surprised it doesn't machine like wood. You shouldn't get shavings just 'heavy' plastic/wood dust. I wouldn't suffer the cost so I made my own stabilising kit - cast acrylics are next on my list having seen the lovely knobs in this thread ;D If you get into it visit this site - lots of info and kit:

https://www.turntex.com/

Tiddlerbasher

Apologies: Last message was meant for Lou :-[

coastal_dan

That red is stunning...I'm always amazed at what a machinist can do, my grandfather did some amazing things as well with his metal/wood lathes.  Sort of becoming a lost art...again, thanks for sharing Lou!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

mizmo67

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Rothmar2

Spectacular work Lou, and good on you for posting the process with pictures. Will be following this thread for sure.

Would love to get my hands on some of this stock and have a go.

STRIPER LOU

Thanks Rothmar. I've followed your work and its quite impressive!!! When I retired  I was lost without machinery to do my projects. Now things are coming together.
As for the material, its great stuff. I've been trying to find deals on it and if its quality material, there are none. Most of the places that make it do so on special order because the demand is low.
The stuff from china is NG!!!! Its very brittle and even breaks while trying to machine it.
Take care,  ..  Lou