Ambassadeurs end caps

Started by mike1010, November 24, 2015, 09:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike1010

A friend asked me to look at his Pro Rocket, which, when line was taken against drag, was chattering as if the gears were stripped.  The gear teeth look okay.  This is the first Ambassadeur I've looked at that has adjustable end caps.  After playing with it for a while, I decided that the pinion was not fully engaging the spool because the spool was too far to the left in the frame.  Backing off the right side end cap and tightening the left one correspondingly seems to have solved the problem, but I want to be sure to adjust them properly.  This leaves me with two questions:

1.  What is the correct centering procedure?

2.  Is it expected that the spindle should have a little notch in the right side such that the spindle is captured by the spring clip in the right side cap?  I'm thinking it is normal.

Thanks.

Mike

GulfOfBothnia

1. Sounds you did it just right. Your eyes will tell you if the spool is properly centered. In free spool position center it using both end caps. In free spool position you will also notice if the sideplay of spool is what you want.
2. Little notch is in the spindle by design, so it's normal. Purpose is just what you described.

mike1010

Thanks, G.O.B.  I was probably over-thinking the centering,  but the Abu-Garcia manuals aren't very helpful on the matter.  Regards.