easy bearing puller

Started by kb6880, October 04, 2015, 11:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb6880

Hi all,
Thought I would post a picture of an easy bearing puller I made.   I hope the pic comes through ... I am new to the forum and still learning the ropes.   The puller is made from a standard paint can opener as seen at the top of the pic.  I used my belt sander to grind down the indicated areas at the bend ... I am sure a bench grinder would work as well.   It helps to have a bearing handy when you are making the puller to get the dimensions right.   The puller goes in the center opening of the bearing, and is just right to reach the outer race of the reels I have worked on (penn surfmasters, squidders, penn 115) while allowing enough room to pry.  The bend is round enough to allow you to rock back and forth either side to side or up and down to work out a stubborn bearing.   The handle is nice for controlling the work, and the metal is tough enough to handle some serious pressure.  I have pulled dozens of difficult bearings (some VERY difficult) with this tool and it has worked in all cases without causing damage to the bearing or the tool.   Hope forum members find this of use ... apologies if someone has already posted something like this puller.   

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Thanks for sharing KB. The boss did show us those a long time ago. I believe those are nice, but worthless when the bearings have some corrosion, you will never get them out using those.
Here are the best bearing pullers on the market, well to me anyway...the ones I'm showing at the bottom of the thread:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9725.msg89829#msg89829
I've been using these for some time now, some believe they're price, I believe it's the best money I've spent.
I have yet to run into a bearing  that I'm not able to pull with those...love that tool!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

kb6880

Thanks!  Those bearing pullers are super cool!   I have been thinking along the lines of using or making an expanding collet, and have used a small slide hammer attached to my paint can puller to get out stubborn bearings (however, with my rig it is a two person job, with high potential for disaster ).   However, even in the best case scenario, my attempts aren't going to be anywhere close to the reelspeed pullers ... they look like they can do it all.   One more thing to start saving up for......     

mizmo67

Brilliant. I have one made from a cheap ice pic, but using the paint can open with it's built in loop would give a lot more leverage.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

reel bob

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 05, 2015, 01:46:32 AM
Thanks for sharing KB. The boss did show us those a long time ago. I believe those are nice, but worthless when the bearings have some corrosion, you will never get them out using those.
Here are the best bearing pullers on the market, well to me anyway...the ones I'm showing at the bottom of the thread:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9725.msg89829#msg89829
I've been using these for some time now, some believe they're price, I believe it's the best money I've spent.
I have yet to run into a bearing  that I'm not able to pull with those...love that tool!

Sal

And where would someone get a set of these bearing pullers this late in the game? Bob

Alto Mare

I'm not sure, the link shows currently unavailable.
All I could tell you is to try contacting Aaron direct:
reelspeed@yahoo.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Cool beans on the puller....and the loop end makes a great bottle opener...an old house painter showed that trick.. ;D
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!