Penn anniversary reels

Started by thorhammer, November 25, 2015, 04:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Recent events have me thinking a bit my about bits and pieces respective to Anni reels. (I didn't want to hijack Daron's thread or Ted's Long Beach thread) Two things, one is a question: I have an anni spool that came in 500S I acquired; however my information says the S was discontinued a decade prior to the 50th anni. I thought the black plates came out after that, but maybe not...what plates did the anni Jigmaster have?

Next:   POST UP YOUR ANNI REEL PICS!

Thor

coastal_dan

I have a few of these :)  There is an odd "atmosphere" if you will with these reels.  Some call them Anniversary, some will argue and say that the red spools were available as early as 1977/1978.  My 'argument' is that they were only listed with Red Spools in the 50th Anniv. catalog of 1982.  I've spoken to individuals that have seen red anodized squidder spools in the late 70's from Penn.  BUT, we all know Penn, they did whatever they wanted, and that's why we love them.

They may have been more than you wanted to hear! But, as far as the 500S the side plates are a nice bright red, and they Take-Apart is on the opposite side as other years.  Someone else can chime in hear, but I don't think they sides are bakelite, but acrylic...please correct me if I'm wrong!

These reels have blown up in popularity in the past year, for good reason.  RED IS SEXY!  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

thorhammer

Dan, never too much info, that's why we are all here! tho, dangit, now i got to find the red squidder spool...LOL this site has cost me a mint in stuff I had to have and didnt know it :)

The 500S plates are made of delrin, not bakelite, but it chips easier (this was explained to me by Mike Quinn at Penn, 15 years ago). There are also SS goodies inside as I'm sure you noticed. I have recently pulled out my Jiggy's as collateral effect of the Cortez Conversion Jigmonster project, and have a few things in the works...pics when done.

Maxed Out

I am fairly certain the red anodized jigmaster spools had nothing to do with any anniversary. The 500S was thumbscrew on head plate, then the 500SL had same thumb screw and the L designated the new aluminum spool model. The very first 500SL models were early 70's and those had the highly illusive silver anodized spools which I believe were only produced for a short couple years, then the red spool took over and the late 70's 500SL's did have the red aluminum spools.

The only true 50th anniversary penns are the internationals that penn marketed as anniversary. The 113H, 113HLW, and 114H so called anniversary reels with chrome spacer bars were only produced for a couple years right around the 50th anniversary, which classifies them as such IMHO. ;)

Dan, in over 40 years around nothing but penns, I do not recall a red anodized squidder spool. If it is a reel that interchanges with jigmaster, then it's simply a jigmaster spool....and I agree, the red is sexy !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Now that you mentioned the Internationals... I feel obligated to link this thread...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13754.0
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

coastal_dan

Agreed, these aren't the TRUE anniversary reels, but right around that time period, honestly, I don't care what they are called, haha.

The 'Reel' Anniversary reels are the Internationals Ted pointed out and they are simply fantastic...for me they will be in my home as long as I breath.  My 3 year old daughter even ogles over them.  I called Penn to get on the list for 2032 and the guy literally laughed at me over the phone...I realized how silly I sounded and we both burst out laughing...he told me to call back around 2030, haha.

Ted - One individual I spoke with said a friend of his order two red anodized squidder spools from Penn in 1978.  Our conversation actually started out as an argument through eBay, then after a few days of back and forth we both realized the other was not such a bad individual. I'll see if I can copy the message over from eBay.

I love talking reels with you guys...dang fun.

Edit: Thorhammer - Thanks!  I knew it wasn't Bakelite - mental note of Delrin logged.  We use this stuff in prototyping, darn awesome to turn on a CNC or route on a mill.
Dan from Philadelphia...

thorhammer

This is exactly the dialogue I hoped for on this topic, since Mike owes us Volume II through that time period :)

C'mon Ted let's see them!! (or anyone else)

coastal_dan

Old photo and I've shown this before, so sorry for the redundancy... :-\

Dan from Philadelphia...

Maxed Out

Quote from: coastal_dan on November 25, 2015, 08:45:18 PM
Old photo and I've shown this before, so sorry for the redundancy... :-\

Nothing wrong with redundancy Dan, but when you get a chance, perhaps you could post a few individual close ups of a couple of those beautys.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

coastal_dan

Ted sent me this photo of the Aluminum spool in SILVER...so sick...one thing he noted, see the sticker for the model?  It was to use up boxes that were for printed for another 500 model, pretty smart.

Ted - fee free to send me more pictures and I'll post.  I had a meeting this afternoon so couldn't post after 4:00.  But I do have INTERNET at home now...amazing :)

Thorhammer - Here is my 500S BNIB

My 50th Int.

My 75th Int.

I need to spend a day just taking photos with the DSLR and tripod...where does the time go!?

Ok, someone elses turn...show and tell.
Dan from Philadelphia...

thorhammer

Thta's some nice motors right there, sir. So my 500S likely did have the original spool. Check out the 500 bottom left I'm working on; I had gotten the silver spool for the Jigmonster but went red on that instead.

coastal_dan

Very nice arsenal!  Is that one of Tom's reels?  Someday I need to get on the list for getting one used. 
Dan from Philadelphia...

thorhammer

Yessir...finest piece I own, maybe the Fin Nor 12/20 is in the conversation.. Jigmonster is smooth as butta. Would love to get the Squidder.

coastal_dan

Honestly the 12/20 (to me) is the most beautiful reel of all time.  Such a fluid and proportionately correct reel, another one on the list to get.  I was bidding on a used one, but went a little too high for the value to me.
Dan from Philadelphia...

thorhammer

without a doubt it has to be the most overbuilt 12 reel ever.....and two speed. I think I got mine for $250 about ten years ago in immaculate condition; I think I fished it twice but it's still sticked and ret to go right now.