Help I.D. mystery reel

Started by Mudman, November 22, 2015, 05:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudman

I was digging through the attic yesterday and found my some of my dad's gear. Some of which were a few Calstars a few mystery blanks- although I'm not sure why he has blanks, never having built any rods. One of the things that caught my attention was an old reel. It has no labels on it or markings other than one sticker, showing line cap. and "japan"

I'd love to clean her up and get things running smooth again, but not knowing what reel it is I don't know where to start in regards to finding schematics. Hoping you guys can help.

Aiala

For some reason that red stripe on the spool makes me think of an older Daiwa?   ???

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

Daiwa Sealine 300H. Great Reel.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

That is actually the wide version. The 350H. Those are hard to find.
That is the only Sealine I don't have.
The internals are the same as the 300.
Life is Good!

Porthos

I have the same reel. It is the OLDER 350H; silver frame but you're missing the top screws and lugs. Looks like your dad didn't care for them.

If you want to restore it, you should call up Daiwa for the missing parts AS WELL AS the left side plate Sealine 350H badge/decal. They had the 300H badge/decal about three months ago when I called...they might still have the 350H ones as well. There is NO PART NUMBER for it; you have to just ask.

There is NO aftermarket arm replacement for the 50H/300H/350H reels; the closest is a 113H arm but the rounded ends of the hole needs filing, and even then there is some play with the flat sides of hole. The best options, IMHO, are Alan's flat cut 3/0 or 5/0 (depending on your hand size) delron handles; drill out the old handle and install onto the factory arm.

Mudman

Thanks everyone! You folks are awesome.

I am just looking to fish it, gears still look good. Needs new drag disks though, other than that I might just make my own lugs/plugs. Alan's handles will be a great addition to these. Stickers/badge doesn't matter much to me- for now at least.

Just glad I found out what model it was. One of my favorite things to do, is cleaning up and using old gear. It's great to see these things could last so long and still function well.

Porthos

Quote from: Mudman on November 23, 2015, 09:57:28 AM
...Needs new drag disks though, other than that I might just make my own lugs/plugs. Alan's handles will be a great addition to these. Stickers/badge doesn't matter much to me- for now at least

Four 6-144 HT-100's and two delrin washers (the latter from Smoothdrags). The fourth 6-144 is for just-in-case you need to bump up the stack height to match factory. One delrin as the undergear washer, and one delrin between the last metal washer and the spacing sleeve.

Call Daiwa for the stickers/badge regardless--if it is the ONLY item you want, they might send it to you for free. They did so for me on the 300H badge. It's good to get it if it's still in stock and even if you don't install it right away...the longer you wait the less chance it will be available. A fleabay replacement will run $13 or more since the badge will then be attached to a left side plate.

Mudman

Quote from: Porthos on November 23, 2015, 04:44:47 PM
Quote from: Mudman on November 23, 2015, 09:57:28 AM
...Needs new drag disks though, other than that I might just make my own lugs/plugs. Alan's handles will be a great addition to these. Stickers/badge doesn't matter much to me- for now at least

Four 6-144 HT-100's and two delrin washers (the latter from Smoothdrags). The fourth 6-144 is for just-in-case you need to bump up the stack height to match factory. One delrin as the undergear washer, and one delrin between the last metal washer and the spacing sleeve.

Call Daiwa for the stickers/badge regardless--if it is the ONLY item you want, they might send it to you for free. They did so for me on the 300H badge. It's good to get it if it's still in stock and even if you don't install it right away...the longer you wait the less chance it will be available. A fleabay replacement will run $13 or more since the badge will then be attached to a left side plate.
That's a good point, thank you! Any idea where I could get a delrin washer from?

The drag and handle was what I was really looking to do. Plus it gives me an excuse to open the reel back up. it's fun tinkering with things.

Porthos

Smoothdrag.com

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13421.0

See third post down. The 350H shares the same washer as the 50H. $0.50 each + $1.00 shipping...so a $2.00 investment.

Mudman

Thank you, I will get some.

Once I get one of Alan's handles, and upgrade the drag I think this might become a winner.