upgrade old Avet LX 4.1

Started by Psion, November 12, 2015, 12:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psion

Hey Folks
bought an old Avet LX 4.1 for $70. opened her up yesterday for a clean and lube job. The bearings are showing signs of rust. the gears look like a brass alloy, the drag washer is glued to the spool. I don't think she has been serviced in a while.
cant seem to find the schematic for this reel.

questions thanks
any idea of the year/s manufacture?
Anyone here supply quality bearings for these reels?
can I swop out the gears for the new stainless ones?

I have sent an email to avet?

Psion

sorry its the roundish side-plate model, with the writing on the side, but no shark picture, Blue, right handed

alantani

just stick with standard abec-5 stainless steel bearings.  smoothdrag.com has them. for a handle upgrade, i have one that works great!  you are stuck with the gears.  i hope they're ok.  not sure if any of the later model gears will work in this reel.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Psion

Thanks Alan
gears look fine
please send me some info re the handle upgrade, pics and cost.

I assume smoothdrag will know the bearing sizes for this reel

cheers

Keta

If it has glued on drag washers it's not a really early model, just discontinued.

LX 4.1 Schematic,  http://www.avetreels.net/uploads/LX4.1.pdf

Ordering parts, http://www.avetreels.net/PARTS.php
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

this reel really worth the cost for repair it.

I recently repaired one LX for a friend and I can recommend to go with the full bearing change, bearings of the spool and the big one on the right plate.
and be careful when using the max drag or you will have problems with the pinion bearing too soon.
The Baja Guy

Psion

Thank folks
awesome help.
I've ordered the full bearing kit including the pinion bearing and a new pinion and main gear (back up)
The reel works great after the service, as soon as the new stuff arrives I'll swop them out and keep the old as emergency backup.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain