Newell counter balance handle

Started by mikeysm, December 09, 2015, 02:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

Hello I was going to make a stainless counter balance handle for my Newell reel. Since I am going to do one I might as well do a few more. Any design ideas would be helpful. I need a good size and design. A 2x2 sheet of 5/16th will do quite a few.

thinkwahoo

If I'm reading your post correctly are you saying 5/16" thick?  The latest handle blades are .156 thick.

mikeysm

Correction 3/16 thick. I checked with the machinest and a sheet 2 ft by 2ft  costs about 200 dollars to cut. I can machine the final part at home.

thinkwahoo

Hate to keep bringing up the numbers, but 3/16" is .1875, so that makes you handles .0315 too thick. That'll make it tough to get the handle nut onto the bridge sleeve. You could machine down the end of the handle to .156.

mikeysm

I know that i will run into problems and that is part of the process. I will counter bore the nut area if needed or grind the handle to get the clearance. i am not into this for profit just keeping the Newell reels alive. So if it cost more to make a handle that will affect how much i charge. I want one for my reel so that why am am doing this.

thinkwahoo

Good deal, it's fun to play and experiment with them.