duplicate foot numbers

Started by nelz, December 11, 2015, 04:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Anyone know why some Ambassadeur 4500CS, 5500CS, & 6500CS reels being sold on eBay would all have the code "SE15E00" on the reel foot? I suppose it can't be a serial number since those (I think) are supposed to be unique per reel. I was ready to buy, but this is fishy...

Mooki

Looks as if they've changed their numbering system yet again.
The lastes revsision they started using 4 years ago (I think) was in another order.
00H11SE
Basically they mean the following:
00  Revision (00 = original design, no changes made)
H   Production Month (H = 8th letter in alphabet = month 8 = August)
11 Production year 2011
SE Production country (SE = Sweden)

My guess is that the new code would be
SE15E00
SE Sweden
15 Year 2015
E May
00 First revision
Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...

foakes

If these are those orange ABU rockets -- the story is that each of the 3 reels was released as a limited 100 edition set.  Supposedly by ABU in Sweden. 

Maybe the SE stands for September, and the 15 for 2015.

These could very well be legitimate -- but it pays to do a little research, since anytime money is involved in the higher numbers -- the scammers slither out from under the rocks.

I believe these are legitimate -- but since ABU has been rebadging and offering so many new products under the old, well established nameplate...

And there are legitimate folks out there, who are very capable, and doing some colorful things with the new offerings.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nelz

Thanks to both of you. Yes indeed, these are the orange reels. I always thought each reel was supposed to have a unique "serial" number, but apparently not. These are more like lot numbers.