Penn 65 99 Newell

Started by broschro, November 26, 2015, 03:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

Happy Thanks Giving y'all. I had the 99 bars and stand.the bars are off just a little i might try and make them work? It has 112h aluminum spool, Upgraded handle and star, greased 3 stack and  all original drivetrain. I will probably install  an ss sleeve and thin cf 5 stack. This will be my go to for seabass Vermillion snapper and other smaller fish.

Ron Jones

That's cool, I didn't realize a 112h spool would fit a 65 pinion. Nice job.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

broschro

Thanks Ron I'm going to spool it up the rest of the way with 30# braid and fish it with a 30# fluorocarbon top shot. It feels good and i can't wait to try it out.

RowdyW

Are you sure a 112H spool fits a 65? I know a later 190 Sea Boy aluminum spool fits a 65. The 190 spools are marked 112H in the flange but do not fit a 112H. I found this out about 6-8 months ago & posted that on this site. Fatstriper (Sean) had a bunch of them & I think AT bought what he had left of them from him recently.   RUDY

broschro

Rudy you are correct it did come from a sea boy. I just assumed it was at 112 h because of the markings. Thanks for the heads up.  Jamie

thorhammer

Nice reel! I like the Newell base. good idea.

Ron Jones

I should have caught that! Great little reel, basically a slow 112H.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

If you want it narrower & lighter use a 60 with a 85 aluminum spool.

Ron Jones

The issue with the 60 is you can't get a Newell base for it. I would KILL for a Newell base and bars for a 60.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

RowdyW

One of the problems with Newell bases is they raise the reels higher off the rod for a higher center of gravity & raise the angle of the line at a steeper angel. Not to bad with roller stripper guide but not so good with a ringed guide. Even better is accurate or tiburon frames. Or just buy Newell reels.

gstours

Hey brosco,  looks sturdy, waay better if you get into some strain on the reel, im thinkin.    thanks for sharing.   keep thinking.

broschro

Thanks for the kind words. I think i will try and make the bars work they are so close.this little reel feels good cant wait to try it out.

Ron Jones

If the side plate holes are to close together for 500 bars I wonder if Surfmaster bars would fit?
Ron
Ronald Jones
"