If you had to pick one reel company would it be:

Started by Baja Bev, November 30, 2015, 07:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baja Bev

Accurate, Avet, or Shimano?
Potentially covering every rod you owned for all Pacific pelagics, light inshore, and Northwest Pacific bottom fishing.
Alan's reel repair saves lives! Just ask my friend who dropped my Penn on the garage floor.

MarkT

What, no Daiwa or Penn?  I love my Lexa baitcasters and my Fathom 2-speeds!

I'd go with Shimano. They cover everything from trout sized-spinners and small baitcasters up to cow gear. Only downside is they drop support for the old products after releasing new ones.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Baja Bev

Yep I feel the love for Penn as well as some of my older Pro Gear but I'm considering a Pro Staff situation and I'd have to stick to one company. I've been in Penn VIP, Pro Gear (still bummed their gone) and Shimano VIP. They'd be saddled to Seeker.
Alan's reel repair saves lives! Just ask my friend who dropped my Penn on the garage floor.

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Baja Bev

If the Penn support keeps up I may have to call Steve Carson lol! (I might have to do an Alan Tani drive by too lol.)

Rancanfish

Hi Bev.  You are everywhere!  I was thinking the other day about ProGear, and decided I would start looking at AVET stuff.

But we're a bunch of Penn nerds mostly.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

bev, i've been really pleased with the way that okuma has gaining.  they make a great line of reels and their makaira line has proven to be pretty much bullet proof.  i have the makairas, the andros two speeds and a few spinners that are matched up with phenix rods.  great reels.

that said, i have been putting together a little arsenal for my personal use.  i already have the penn torque 25 narrow, and the international 12 vsx, 30w vs and 50 vsx.  i need a torque 40 narrow and my set will be complete.  jon vadney is working on a phenix black diamond 760 to add to the 838 and 700 that already have.  that leaves two rods on the top end, probably a seeker 1x3 and a 2x4.  as far as penn goes, i can't think of a better guy to work with the steve carson.

i don't know if you want to add okuma to your list, but i would at least take a look.  bryan young can talk more about their line of rods.  accurate now has danny uribe as the new guy in sales.  i hope to meet up with him when he visits norcal in january.  i think firing jason left a huge void, so danny has his work cut out for him.  daiwa has frank murata, but they are a little light on the big fish tackle.  avet makes a great reel, but i know nothing about their prostaff program, or if they even have one.  shimano is, well, shimano is shimano.  if you are willing to follow the true way of the samurai, it might work.  

whatever you decide, good luck and please keep us posted!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RowdyW

It has to be PENN. When all the other reels are 30+ years old try and get parts for them. Nothing like a little nostalgia.

foakes

Quote from: RowdyW on November 30, 2015, 09:35:00 PM
It has to be PENN. When all the other reels are 30+ years old try and get parts for them. Nothing like a little nostalgia.

When all of the other reels are 3 to 5 years old -- try and get parts...

Never leave an old Friend for a new one -- better to have 2 friends.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Quote from: alantani on November 30, 2015, 08:41:22 PM
bev, i've been really pleased with the way that okuma has gaining.  they make a great line of reels and their makaira line has proven to be pretty much bullet proof.  i have the makairas, the andros two speeds and a few spinners that are matched up with phenix rods.  great reels.

that said, i have been putting together a little arsenal for my personal use.  i already have the penn torque 25 narrow, and the international 12 vsx, 30w vs and 50 vsx.  i need a torque 40 narrow and my set will be complete.  jon vadney is working on a phenix black diamond 760 to add to the 838 and 700 that already have.  that leaves two rods on the top end, probably a seeker 1x3 and a 2x4.  as far as penn goes, i can't think of a better guy to work with the steve carson.

i don't know if you want to add okuma to your list, but i would at least take a look.  bryan young can talk more about their line of rods.  accurate now has danny uribe as the new guy in sales.  i hope to meet up with him when he visits norcal in january.  i think firing jason left a huge void, so danny has his work cut out for him.  daiwa has frank murata, but they are a little light on the big fish tackle.  avet makes a great reel, but i know nothing about their prostaff program, or if they even have one.  shimano is, well, shimano is shimano.  if you are willing to follow the true way of the samurai, it might work.  

whatever you decide, good luck and please keep us posted!

YOU have spinners???????????????

Alto Mare

Penn is hard to beat....no one comes close. I can still get parts today, similar to the ones made 80 + years ago.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 30, 2015, 10:17:41 PM
Penn is hard to beat....no one comes close. I can still get parts today, similar to the ones made 80 + years ago.

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment.  Penn has raised the bar that other reel companies try to reach.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.