Right size bit/tool for the screws holding the Saltiga LD series sideplate?

Started by Jon_Kol, December 04, 2015, 11:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

This large set I have is made by Wheeler. One tip in the back row fit the Saltiga screws perfectly. The bits are hollow ground with different widths and thicknesses. It's well worth having these for working on many brands of reels. Especially the older Penn International reels.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

There are many impressive things about Brownell's.

But to me, one of the best is the way they handle customer service.

While it is rare to break one of their hardened screwdriver bits -- I have chipped 2 over the years with tough, rusted or salt fused screws.  One on a reel -- one on an old shotgun.  In one case, I was being a little too impatient -- in the other, I did not realize the screw released outward clockwise.  Really both my fault -- and I expected to pay for new bits.

Each time, I just gave them a call -- explained the problem -- they unnecessarily apologized for the issue -- and promptly sent out a replacement at no cost.  No receipt after 12 years --

The really impressive part was that they did not want the old bit back, did not ask any questions.

We need to acknowledge and appreciate companies that do business in this manner -- and continue to use them -- loyalty works both ways. 

These old school, quality firms -- putting out a quality product, and standing behind it for life -- are becoming fewer and fewer.

While it is easy to always go out and buy the latest, and greatest gadget ever invented -- it is also too easy to forget an old friend -- and how well they have treated us by always handling issues in a classy manner.

Thank You, Brownells.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Quote from: foakes on January 11, 2016, 07:24:53 PM
There are many impressive things about Brownell's.

But to me, one of the best is the way they handle customer service.

While it is rare to break one of their hardened screwdriver bits -- I have chipped 2 over the years with tough, rusted or salt fused screws.  One on a reel -- one on an old shotgun.  In one case, I was being a little too impatient -- in the other, I did not realize the screw released outward clockwise.  Really both my fault -- and I expected to pay for new bits.

Each time, I just gave them a call -- explained the problem -- they unnecessarily apologized for the issue -- and promptly sent out a replacement at no cost.  No receipt after 12 years --

The really impressive part was that they did not want the old bit back, did not ask any questions.

We need to acknowledge and appreciate companies that do business in this manner -- and continue to use them -- loyalty works both ways. 

These old school, quality firms -- putting out a quality product, and standing behind it for life -- are becoming fewer and fewer.

While it is easy to always go out and buy the latest, and greatest gadget ever invented -- it is also too easy to forget an old friend -- and how well they have treated us by always handling issues in a classy manner.

Thank You, Brownells.

Best,

Fred

Fred: I have been dealing with Brownells for 43yeary and have never had a problem with any of there services. IMO they should be an example for other company's to follow.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Jon_Kol

Quote from: handi2 on January 11, 2016, 03:18:26 PM
I have 5 in the shop right now and will verify the screws. Luckily these screws came out easily. You do need to get a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers. Without them it would have been harder. I tried a regular screwdriver and none fit just right.

That would be superb, thank you!

Jon_Kol

Quote from: handi2 on January 11, 2016, 06:56:46 PM
This large set I have is made by Wheeler. One tip in the back row fit the Saltiga screws perfectly. The bits are hollow ground with different widths and thicknesses. It's well worth having these for working on many brands of reels. Especially the older Penn International reels.

Is this the same set that you posted a picture of?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HTN4EWG/ref=asc_df_B00HTN4EWG4092284?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=merbethomgarbhg-20&linkCode=df0&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B00HTN4EWG&ascsubtag=952965588