Aluminum Jig Master side plate sets

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 05, 2015, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

......Tom, can't say thank you enough !!  :D    I will have open seat for you this summer for live bait albacore if you really want to see what your reels can do. :o :o
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

twotone

twotone

Alto Mare

Ted and Twotone, those two reels are gorgeous...love it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Holy cow sexyness! Ted the green is crazy!  Like a mini Hulk!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

sdlehr

Lookin' good, Joe. I think I'll get me that same handle and star for mine.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

Here is a silver one I just got done assembling

A couple of helpful hints for the new crowd:
I want to mention that by removing a tiny bit off the right side dog, as I'm showing, will make the reel work much smoother

It will still work as is, but since it only takes a minute to do, i would sand it.
Here is the close up

When assembling the clutch, make sure the yoke is the right side up, as I'm showing here

This would be the wrong side, as you can see, the edges are not rounded

This reel is working flawlessly, I went with the 5:1 gears and Bryan's kit.
I did add a delrin belleville on top of the stack

If you would like to do something similar, you will need the 10.50mm spacer sleeve to make it work

The one on the right is the 10.50mm, you will also need to sand it down a bit, so it could slide in the opening
Bridge screws are available, but you will need to remove the threads on the lower two

I recommend these.
Any questions, just ask!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

No tutorial Joe, just a couple of hints, but not for you, you already know how to handle it.
I figure I place those here, I believe this is a good spot for it.
I made this a sticky early this morning, we don't want it to get lost.
Too much good stuff going on here.

Sal

steelhead_killer

Ok sweet!  I love the bridge screws, do you sell them?  The delrin belleville is sourced from whom?  Also, great photo's but I am having trouble seeing the actual change on the right dog.  Great looking setup!  Thanks for the help!
><)))">

Alto Mare

Thank you Joe.

Killer, I do not have a pic of the two dogs, I had it, but got lost in the shuffle.
These are some detailed pics, very easy to copy if you wanted to grind one of the dogs on your reel.
I do not sell the bridge screws, those took me 20 minutes each to make...too long.
Here are the bridge screws, only available with full threads
http://www.mcmaster.com/#92196A138
This 5/8 size is a bit long on Tom's plates, you wouldn't want any screws protruding through the bridge plate, they would hit the inner side of the spool, tolerance is very tight on these reels.
I did not try these yet, but i believe they would be perfect
http://www.mcmaster.com/#92196A137
The belleville is a great improvement on these, if used with the correct spacer.
I also get those from McMaster...very reasonable in cost:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#3573A17
The delrin for under the main gear you could get from smoothdrag.com , Adam ( Three se7ens)  might have some, but I'm not sure.

Sal

steelhead_killer

><)))">

BryanC

I completed my two yesterday.  They both have Penn steel gears (I prefer the 4:1 ratio), SS gear sleeves, Black Pearl double dog bridge/yoke/jack, & Bryan Young's 5+1 drag kits.  The black 500 has a SS spool and an aftermarket (Ebay) handle/knob.  The green & silver 501 has a Motive Fabrication handle arm & drag star, and an EVA knob that I got from someone on another forum.

Here are a couple pics:

BryanC

I learned a couple things in the process too.

First - eccentric springs are not all created equal.  In the photo below, you can see the upper spring is considerably shorter overall than the lower one, and the angle of the left end is a little different.  That was the first one that I installed in the green sideplate.  Because of its dimensions, it did not engage very deeply in the recess in the sideplate.

I thought at the time, "I wonder if that will pop out".  Sure enough, it did after a couple dozen cycles with the fully assembled reel.  This is what it looked like when I opened it:

I replaced that spring with the lower (longer) one, and it engages much better in the sideplate recess.  I am sure I could have bent the original into a better shape that would stay engaged if I did not have a replacement handy.

The other thing I learned has to do with Sal's post about sanding down the right dog.  On my black reel, there was some resistance when reeling that occurred each time the dog reached the top of the rachet.  I removed one dog at a time and checked, and it was the same one that Sal indicated.  So I sanded it as he showed, but the resistance was still there.  I then started to think that the interference occurred on a slightly different part of the dog, so I sanded again, and this took care of it.  I did not take a picture after the final sanding because the reel was already together and I didn't care to disassemble it again at 11:00 pm last night.  The red line in the photo below shows where I removed material in the final sanding.

Alto Mare

Tom, I believe you made a boo-boo on these plates, these are better than some of the new stuff out there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxkQKr1CDgA&feature=youtu.be
plate, spool and frame are playing together nicely, this is as close you're going to get to perfection.

Sal

Sorry, no idea why it keeps going sideway.

A shot of the two, red 501 & black 99

swill88

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 06, 2016, 11:00:13 PM
Tom, I believe you made a boo-boo on these plates, these are better than some of the new stuff out there.

plate, spool and frame are playing together nicely, this is as close you're going to get to perfection.

Sal

Sorry, no idea why it keeps going sideway.

Nice spin Sal... I think mine is similar but I will post to confirm.

Bottom line... I agree these plates are just too nice...

Steve

PacRat

This is my dog after stoning. It only took about ten strokes right on the corner where the shadow is pointing. A wise gunsmith once told me to go easy because you can always take more metal off but it's awfully hard to put it back on. You can see by the residue on the stone that I didn't remove much and the reel functions very smoothly now.