Just acquired mid 70's Penn 49 Super Mariner with Monel wire line

Started by pjstevko, December 10, 2015, 03:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I just acquired my fathers never (or once used, he can't remember, looks new) used Penn 49 with Monel wire line and was wondering if its worth anything  ??? ??? ???

What type of fishing would this reel be best suited for?

My dad says he has the box, paperwork, tool and lubrication too.....

Thanks for the info

PJ

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Tightlines667

Quote from: pjstevko on December 10, 2015, 03:21:32 AM
I just acquired my fathers never (or once used, he can't remember, looks new) used Penn 49 with Monel wire line and was wondering if its worth anything  ??? ??? ???

What type of fishing would this reel be best suited for?

My dad says he has the box, paperwork, tool and lubrication too.....

Thanks for the info

PJ

Depends a bit on what year and model it is.  Is it a 49 or 49M (Mariner, Super Mariner, Deep Sea, King Salmon, etc..).  Just check the box label, the stamp on the reel, or tell us if it has 1 or 2 levers on the headplate.  Also what color are the sideplates?  What number is on the cover of the box catalog?  Are there any visable part numbers on the reel (i.e. stand, handle retaining nut, etc)?  What kind of spool is it (Plastic, chromed bronze 1-piece, 3-piece, vented arbor, drilled arbor, large/narrow diameter, etc..)?  Handle counterweight design can also be useful.

The box, and catalog will likely answer what model, what year.  

There were several variations in the reel over its long production history (1939-2006), and some of these reels are collectable and may be worth a few dollers more, but $25-$150 is a good rough range, but some are worth up to $300 (first year NOS, complete set).

Yours is likely one of the more common, numbered 49M Super-Mariner models produced post 1954/55 with a large arbor, non ventilated 1-piece chromed bronze spool.  If it is a 1957 Silver Anniversary (box has a sticker) NOS complete package might be valued in the $100-$150 price range.  Anything after that $50-$85 would be tops.

These reel's were originally designed as a bottomfishing reel, but we're quickly adopted for deep freshwater trolling, and then deep saltwater trolling.  They have long been popular wire line trolling reels.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Nice reels, the weakest link on those is the bridge. This is just my opinion, I think the gears create more drag than the gear sleeve and post could handle, on this one. If fished where recommended, it shouldn't be a problem though.
I actually go a little carried away trying to beef one up a bit:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6197.0
No need for anyone else to try this, there are 349 out there that would be a better choice, I just wanted to do it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

pjstevko

I think this reel is a little big for the fishing I have available to me at the moment so I'm not sure I'll fish it....

will any of the parts off this 49 fit on a 500 or 501?

If none of the parts from this reel will work with either of the above then the whole lot (reel,box, etc) might go up for sale..

thanks for the info so far

pj

Sharkin904

What is the reason for the second lever on these reels? Ones free spool I'd assume...what's the other? Never seen one in person

Tightlines667

Disengages the antireverse dog.  Being able to let a prescribed amount of line out (buy counting number of handle turns), was often desirable when deep trolling with wire line.  Sone people now days enjoy fishing fish with no AR, kinda like a mooching or fly reel.  A quick flip of the lever will give you AR when/if desired.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

pjstevko

Just found the box for the reel which had the original penn packing paper and the receipt of purchase inside. He's gonna try to locate the paperwork, tool and lube and mail it to me. The box states that the reel is a 49M. My dad bought the reel on Dec 13, 1975 for $27.34 which makes the reel 40 years old depending on manufacturing. He said its never been fished!