2nd Generation 113HX 4:1 SS Gear Set

Started by Black Pearl, December 10, 2015, 03:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Pearl

I have few members asked me that if the main gear is made in brass because it has the golden color. The answer is "no". All my gears are made in stainless steel, and most of them are heat treated. The reason the color is goldenish because that are not polished (try to keep the cost down). They are just clean.

Don't worry, they are stainless steel.

mikeysm

If you want the stainless look use bar keepers friend found in the grocery store. Scrub with a tooth brush and the tarnish from the heat treating will disapear.

Mike

Alto Mare

Quote from: Black Pearl on July 07, 2016, 12:03:02 AM

If you wanted to leave them as they are, they will perform just fine.
To me, these are now the best gears on the market.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

I got a set these gears n' drag washers and wanted to try 'em out with the old 113H stuff I haven't replaced yet, only to find out the pinion's not compatible with the bronze/chromed spool(reel's probably from the 40's, with the three 2.5 mm drag washers). Pinion I D for the 113HX kit too narrow, won't fit and I can see that the part that engages squared section a the spool shaft is also gonna be too small. so which spool(s) is/are compatible with this gear set?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Black Pearl

Quote from: Gfish on July 26, 2016, 08:14:30 AM
I got a set these gears n' drag washers and wanted to try 'em out with the old 113H stuff I haven't replaced yet, only to find out the pinion's not compatible with the bronze/chromed spool(reel's probably from the 40's, with the three 2.5 mm drag washers). Pinion I D for the 113HX kit too narrow, won't fit and I can see that the part that engages squared section a the spool shaft is also gonna be too small. so which spool(s) is/are compatible with this gear set?
Gfish

Is it possible to send me that spool for checking? Of course, I will pay for the shipping for both ways. Please let me know.

It should fit, but who knows. Regardless, we will take care of that.

Thanks,
Alan

mo65

Quote from: Black Pearl on July 26, 2016, 10:49:22 AM
Gfish

Is it possible to send me that spool for checking? Of course, I will pay for the shipping for both ways. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Alan

I was wondering what became of this...did anyone figure it out?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Black Pearl

Quote from: mo65 on October 30, 2016, 06:04:37 AM
Quote from: Black Pearl on July 26, 2016, 10:49:22 AM
Gfish

Thanks,
Alan

I was wondering what became of this...did anyone figure it out?

Yeah, Gary sent me the spool and the pinion gear that he bought from me. I cleaned the spool shaft and clean the pinion hole a little, and it was fitted perfectly. Then, I sent him back the parts the same day.

mo65

Quote from: Black Pearl on October 30, 2016, 12:20:58 PM
Gary sent me the spool and the pinion gear that he bought from me. I cleaned the spool shaft and clean the pinion hole a little, and it was fitted perfectly. Then, I sent him back the parts the same day.

Great, I was hoping that was all it needed. Same day service...not many places you'll get that kind of support. Also thanks for answering my question so fast, and making these awesome performance products! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Yep. Allen C./Pro Challenger's got A-1 service. Reel works flawlessly now. 1st fish on it was one them elusive G.T.'s(Giant Travally, or Ulua). I think Sal's probably right : " now the best gears on the market".
Gfish(Gregg).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Timotheus5877

Can we still order these sets? Was interested in 2 package c

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Black Pearl

I just got in a very good CF drag washer for this 113HX gear set.

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 13, 2015, 02:50:24 PM

Don't base my numbers at where it should be fished at, those are testing numbers only.
I could tell you this, we will have the (500) as a 20lb reel, the ( 113h) as a 30lb reel  and the( 114H ) as a 35lb reel.
Sal

Sal,

what would be a better reel for 80# braid for groupers?
a tanked up 113h with this new gears and all SS parts of course or a stock 114h reel?

The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

These gears are a must have if you want the Ultimate Tank.
I really think this is Alan C's greatest invention to date.
I must have a set.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: steelfish on December 02, 2016, 02:02:20 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on December 13, 2015, 02:50:24 PM

Don't base my numbers at where it should be fished at, those are testing numbers only.
I could tell you this, we will have the (500) as a 20lb reel, the ( 113h) as a 30lb reel  and the( 114H ) as a 35lb reel.
Sal

Sal,

what would be a better reel for 80# braid for groupers?
a tanked up 113h with this new gears and all SS parts of course or a stock 114h reel?

Alex, it has to do with how tough you are. If you're like a couple of wimpy guys on here that can only use a two speed, forget about those ( just kidding )  ;D.
I have fished for grouper in Florida, but non of the Goliath Grouper that everyone talks about, those are scary.
Talking to some friends, they would be more comfortable with a larger reel as the 114h, some actually like the black slower 114.
if I would ever give it a shot, I would definitely try the Tank loaded with everything we have available.
I would probably bring two though, one with 4:1 ProChallenger's gears and one with stock steel 3.25:1 gear and Adam's inserts ...just in case.
Both might fail on those monsters, but i wouldn't mind.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.