Penn 9/0 w Electramate 920 for daytime deep dropping swordfish So Fl.

Started by gofastsandman, December 13, 2015, 02:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gofastsandman

Hi gang,
Noob here, tried search, got nada.

GFS here.

So I am wanting to deep drop for swordies with this set up on a Lott Bros full roller
vintage 80 class rod. Will add aftco swivel tip and looking for a cheap bent butt also as
currently straight.

So I realize I am under gunned but I am a working guy and will make do with what I can afford.

What are some budget friendly upgrades I can make to the 9/0.
Currently spooled w ss wire which I will switch to 65 lb braid.
Was told I  need 2000 yds.

Unit is as new.
if someone wants the ss wire give me a shout.

Cheers,
GFS

conchydong

Wow, you are asking a lot out of a reel with 6/0 sized drags. RJ Boyle has a video on hand cranking swordfish where the electric is just used as sort of a deep down rigger. If it were me, I would use a good quality standup rod with a lever drag size 50 or 80 reel or a 10/0 12/0 Senator that has good drag washers for the actual fishing part of it and use your electramate rig as the down rigger.

You'd hate to lose a fish of a lifetime with an smoked reel and/or electramate drive.

gofastsandman

conchydong

You can always leave that 14/0 in the rod holder (heavy duty swivel) to fight the fish for most of the battle. Not IGFA legal but it's IGFAI (It's Good For All Involved) legal.

gofastsandman

Orrrr I have an ole penn 50 I could leave on the Lott rod and put the electramate 9/0 on a kite rod as a down rigger???