Rubbing Sound

Started by Army_of_One, June 07, 2017, 03:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army_of_One

I have a 113HLW that is for sale on the forum here.  It had a loud gear sound with the red side plates and brass components.  I changed to an older maroon side plate and installed a stainless bridge, steel gear, stainless gear sleeve and the grinding sound is gone.  I have a rubbing sound along with an extreme wear pattern on the yoke.  The sound is there when the side plate is off the reel, so I believe it has to do with the yoke and pinion gear.  I have removed the drag stack and the sound goes away, as the main gear isn't moving.  I'm not sure where to go now.  I thought about buying a new pinion and yoke to see if that solves it.  Thank you guys for your help.  Robin.
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

You say it had a loud gear sound from the start with the Brass Gears. I'm guessing that pinion is not meshing well with the steel gear.
Just a Guess.
Life is Good!

RowdyW

If the grinding sound is there only when the plate is off the reel it's probably because the pinion is not in alighnment. Reinstall the plate so the spool can keep the pinion in alighnment.                     Rudy

handi2

Robin I have plenty so stop by.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

sdlehr

If it were me I'd substitute one component at a time and determine the combination that presents and removes the noise. You should be able to narrow it down after that. You're on the right track, but you're changing too many things at once to know which of those is causing the problem.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Army_of_One

I got it!  It was the wrong pinion in the wrong plate. :-[ I had two open at once trying to put it all back together and failed at paying attention.  All I hear now is the clicking of the dual dogs on the stainless bridge.  Thank you guys for your help.  I'm sure I'll be back again for more help.
Another day in Paradise!

sdlehr

Quote from: Army_of_One on June 07, 2017, 08:06:24 PM
It was the wrong pinion in the wrong plate.
That's why I wanted you to substitute one component at a time!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector