Tuna fishing

Started by Lowprofile, December 18, 2015, 01:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowprofile

my buddy Kaipo, myself and two others went out a few nights ago to do some tuna fishing off the southern point of the island.

caught a bunch of squid for bait and dropped them down around 60 meters. we had a few hit and misses and then Kaipo finally hooked up and landed a 75lb big eye! then he got a 30lb ish YFT on the jig and I managed two schoolies on strip squid and an escolar on live squid. brought in a few Mahi and one decent one just under 30lbs. One of the other guys was getting hit after hit on live squid and finally landed a 65-70lb YFT. and Jon, our 4th guy, landed an escolar of his own. (mine actually came on his rod when he didn't think he had a fish on... haha).

Gaffing Kaipos Big Eye

some of the pics belong to Kaipo, but I stole them anyways.

sdlehr

I'm jealous seeing all the tuna videos posted lately!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

coastal_dan

Nice!  All great eating right there!  Thanks for sharing...it's cold and cloudy here... ::)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Lowprofile

It's cold and windy here. Been raining for 4 days. Lol. In the video there wasn't any rain but it was a steady drizzle all night. When the fish started biting and we started filling up the hold with squid the layers started coming off.

Tightlines667

Nice!
Catching them Ika ShibI style is alot of fun.  You never know what denzians of the deep might rise to the ocassion.  Nice bunch of Smith's Escobar there too.  Don't eat too much of that stuff at once.  As you probably already know, that meat contains a natural laxative.

Thanks for sharing!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

BMITCH

Nice pull of fish!!! Thnx for posting. Where is this??

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

I'm pretty sure it is Korea Bob.
Chris is a Marine stationed there.
I wish I knew what I know now when I was in the Navy.
Life is Good!

Lowprofile

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

swill88

David Hall

Mac53

How fast can you say "Fish BBQ"!  Nicely done.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

Very impressive catching.

....and that is one heck of a boat you got there. Looks like you have enormous fish holds. Is that a commercial type boat ??
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!