CorrosionX?

Started by FishermanTom81, December 22, 2015, 07:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

To add to what Fred said, never use ammonia on aluminum, anodized or not. It will stain, and you'll never get the stain out (this according to ORCA's publication "Cleaning, Restoring and Repairing Antique Fishing Reels"). Actually, the book just said not to do it. I made up the part about the stain; I think that's what they meant. If anyone wants to try it let me know what happens :)

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

johndtuttle

Quote from: GClev on April 03, 2016, 09:32:23 PM
You mean I wasted all that time getting a PhD in organic chemistry and those 30 years in the lab, office, and boardroom?  Damn.  Do I get a do-over?

Not to worry and not trying to insult anyone's training.

The reel lubes are pretty pedestrian stuff as well as the marine bearing greases we commonly use.

Nothing exotic about it at all. But it certainly "dries" over time leaving behind it's additives whatever they may be. They just sit there doing their jobs till some oil comes around to put them back into solution again. :)

We worry about mixing and matching less because we always are in there to see how things are going before any trouble can start.

sdlehr

You mean I wasted all that time getting a PhD in organic chemistry and those 30 years in the lab, office, and boardroom?  Damn.  Do I get a do-over?
GClev, this is hardly the place for a debate on chemistry... and I'm sorry if I offended.... but I just don't see acetate as a potent chelating agent. Sure, it will associate with the Cu2+ cations when in solution, but that's not chelating, like, for instance, EDTA..... and I've used dilute HCl to remove verdigris (CuO) from brass before... where there was no acetate present... but this is all getting very esoteric and beyond useful for most folks here. And my MS in chemistry was over 30 years ago and it's easy for me to get way over my head any more after being in medicine for the last 30 years..... so, peace. If you want to add sodium bicarb to your vinegar I'm OK with that. My point was that if you're going to neutralize some of your acid, why not just dilute it with water? There's plenty of acetate in vinegar without adding bicarb; if it's going to "chelate" Cu it can do it anyway. The whole reaction will go faster if you don't neutralize or dilute your acid.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Tightlines667

Quote from: sdlehr on April 04, 2016, 01:43:53 AM
GClev, this is hardly the place for a debate on chemistry... and I'm sorry if I offended.... but I just don't see acetate as a potent chelating agent. Sure, it will associate with the Cu2+ cations when in solution, but that's not chelating, like, for instance, EDTA..... and I've used dilute HCl to remove verdigris (CuO) from brass before... where there was no acetate present... but this is all getting very esoteric and beyond useful for most folks here. And my MS in chemistry was over 30 years ago and it's easy for me to get way over my head any more after being in medicine for the last 30 years..... so, peace. If you want to add sodium bicarb to your vinegar I'm OK with that. My point was that if you're going to neutralize some of your acid, why not just dilute it with water? There's plenty of acetate in vinegar without adding bicarb; if it's going to "chelate" Cu it can do it anyway. The whole reaction will go faster if you don't neutralize or dilute your acid.

Sid

My thoughts exactly!

;)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

day0ne

I just use Dawn dishwashing soap, a toothbrush, and hot water to clean reels. Works for me. Love corrosion X, but in some applications, the LPS products (LPS1, LPS2, and LPS3) are great.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

sdlehr

Quote from: day0ne on April 04, 2016, 05:34:40 AM
I just use Dawn dishwashing soap, a toothbrush, and hot water to clean reels. Works for me. Love corrosion X, but in some applications, the LPS products (LPS1, LPS2, and LPS3) are great.
dayone, your reels must not be in the shape that the ones that I am receiving are, and of those that I use and care for properly your method would be fine. When you buy, sell and trade vintage reels you see a lot of reels that have never been cleaned or opened up, and the corrosion of the chrome off the brass is not remedied with dish soap. It needs more than that. That's what the vinegar will do for you. It will remove the green verdigris that you'll see on a lot of reels if you browse through Ebay's offerings.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Reel 224

Quote from: sdlehr on April 04, 2016, 02:05:00 PM
dayone, your reels must not be in the shape that the ones that I am receiving are, and of those that I use and care for properly your method would be fine. When you buy, sell and trade vintage reels you see a lot of reels that have never been cleaned or opened up, and the corrosion of the chrome off the brass is not remedied with dish soap. It needs more than that. That's what the vinegar will do for you. It will remove the green verdigris that you'll see on a lot of reels if you browse through Ebay's offerings.

Sid

Sid: I noticed that your beard is snow white and your hair is jet black. :o How is that? ::) ;) ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

sdlehr

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 04, 2016, 02:31:04 PM
Sid: I noticed that your beard is snow white and your hair is jet black. :o How is that? ::) ;) ;D
Joe
Joe, I have talents no one knows of! To be truthful, I have absolutely no idea. I just grow it, I have little to say about the color....

Sid
Sid Lehr

MarkT

My beard is the same.  The guys at work say I should dye my beard the same way I do my hair so that I'd look younger.  Ya know, the whole better living through chemistry thing.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Reel 224

Well fellas as you can see I have all white hair head and beard. I'm just lucky I guess.  ;) ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

day0ne

Quote from: sdlehr on April 04, 2016, 02:05:00 PM

Sid

I've had some bad ones. For corrosion on chrome or cleaning brass, I use Barkeeper's Friend, either original or liquid
David

Live2Fish

Anyone ever use the NevrDull Wadding Polish on chrome parts? Is that safe on chrome?

Ive got a Penn Long Beach 60 to clean up for a friend.  Some very light green on the chrome and some shop grime built up on the sideplates.  I'm planning to tear it down clean and grease all parts.  Replace the drag washers.  Should be a good reel for rockfish and lingcod.

Simple green for the sideplates, corrossionx or vinegar on the chrome, brake cleaner should work on the metal parts on the inside...am I missing anything as far as cleaning?

day0ne

Neverdull works great on chrome. If fact, I have used it on sideplates with good results.
David

Tightlines667

Quote from: Live2Fish on April 13, 2016, 04:45:19 AM
Anyone ever use the NevrDull Wadding Polish on chrome parts? Is that safe on chrome?

Ive got a Penn Long Beach 60 to clean up for a friend.  Some very light green on the chrome and some shop grime built up on the sideplates.  I'm planning to tear it down clean and grease all parts.  Replace the drag washers.  Should be a good reel for rockfish and lingcod.

Simple green for the sideplates, corrossionx or vinegar on the chrome, brake cleaner should work on the metal parts on the inside...am I missing anything as far as cleaning?

Nope.. other then some elbow grease.  

I think Never Dull or Simichrome is great for a final polish.  I sometimes treat corroded chrome-plated parts with Loctite Aluminum Jelly for 10-15minutes, rinse, then into a simple green solution, and the sonic cleaner for 15mins before polishing.

Everybody has developed techniques that work best for them.   Just a suggestion.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Live2Fish

I dont have a sonic cleaner but I got some elbow grease! Lol

I'll give the nevr dull a go for the final polish...Thx