Eccentric jack "wobbles" in Jigmaster

Started by sdlehr, January 01, 2016, 08:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Having a problem with the Jigmaster 500 eccentric jack not staying straight. It has a wobble in it; I've attached a picture. This wasn't a problem before I had to swap out parts from this jigmaster to make the one with the new Cortez Conversions aluminum side plates work. I found a winning combination of parts for that one, but now I'm left with this. Anyone run across this before? I was ordering from Scott's, a replacement was cheap, so I ordered it, but I'm not convinced it'll solve the problem. See how crooked it is? I can move it straight and it will work once, but then when I flip the eccentric lever back it returns to this position. Not sure why this has so much side play. The second photo is after I have returned it to its proper, straight position.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

swill88

Don't have an answer for you... but... a good question and those are good pictures. Thanks.

Reel 224

An obvious question would be. Do have the bridge screws supporting the pinion yoke? Another question is the eccentric jack ears bent.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

sdlehr

Well, I found the problem... and it wasn't what I expected. The eccentric spring was sticking up above the eccentric just enough to contact the eccentric jack and give it a little twist to the side when the lever was moved. I filed down that fraction of a mm of eccentric spring sticking up and it's all just fine and dandy now.... thanks for the help, both are good suggestions, may be a solution for someone in the future.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector