Jigmaster with thumb screw release on left side plate

Started by Sulla, October 27, 2015, 02:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sulla

My buddy told me he got a jigmaster wraith the easy release thum screw on the non handle side of the reel. I e never seen this or heard of it. Is this very common? Are there any benefits to it being on the le side?

Rancanfish

Older 500S probably.  Is it red?  I have both, and don't see an advantage to either.  Maybe more parts available for later series as far as side plates, etc. 
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Shark Hunter

It is not that uncommon Bill. It was just another variation. I have a couple.
The 500S had the takedown screw on the non handle side. I think they did it to make the reel lighter.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

You may be pleasantly surprised to see the S has some stainless guts that the later L's do not. If memory serves, I asked similar questions of Mike Quinn at Penn when I got my first one. He told me they were made about 1972-1974 with Delrin plates rather than bakelite. My experience is that about everything is interchangeable except the plates and rings.

Maxed Out

Quote from: thorhammer on October 27, 2015, 01:27:11 PM
You may be pleasantly surprised to see the S has some stainless guts that the later L's do not. If memory serves, I asked similar questions of Mike Quinn at Penn when I got my first one. He told me they were made about 1972-1974 with Delrin plates rather than bakelite. My experience is that about everything is interchangeable except the plates and rings.

Good info Thor

I think you're right about brass parts in later "L" models, but I do know the early L models had steel internals. I prefer the early models that have the thumbscrew located on the drive side.

I've always wondered if you could use a 500S tail plate and older 500 head plate, so you'd have quick take apart from either end lol
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Sulla

Quote from: Max Doubt on October 31, 2015, 03:01:11 AM
Quote from: thorhammer on October 27, 2015, 01:27:11 PM

Good info Thor

I think you're right about brass parts in later "L" models, but I do know the early L models had steel internals. I prefer the early models that have the thumbscrew located on the drive side.

I've always wondered if you could use a 500S tail plate and older 500 head plate, so you'd have quick take apart from either end lol

That was exactly what I was thinking. That would be pretty cool to have quick easy acces from both sides!

Tunanorth

Not 1972, it was for about 18 months in 1982-83.
The reason was that the take down on the non-handle side allowed the reel to be partially assembled by robot, while the traditional design had to be hand-assembled.
As mentioned, the sideplates were delrin instead of bakelite. 
The public hated it, and it was a sales disaster, switching back relatively quickly.

nelz

I've always preferred it on the left plate, go figure.

thorhammer

I love the S; they feel more substantial to me than L's and i always try to get them for donor reels due to SS innards.