Penn Spinfisher 700

Started by Chris Gatorfan, January 20, 2014, 06:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Gatorfan

Well I got a reel to work on yesterday and they guys that brought it to me saide when he bought it the guy said it had just been service. Well my customer wanted me to check it out just to make sure. The outside of the reel was in beautiful shape except for the bail stopper being dry rotted.

Well when i open her up boy was i surprised. all of the grease was solid black, as if it were burnt motor oil inside of it.

Well needless to say i broke her all down to do a good cleaning on it. there was no way i was letting this classic leave my shop without having its dignity restored.

After getting her all cleaned up I did some polishing and then proceeded to relube her, and now she is good as new.

Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Shark Hunter

Definitely a Classic Chris. Good Job! ;)
Life is Good!

johndtuttle

Those old beauties are marvels of simplicity and reliability. Glad to see another one given TLC.  ;D

Be sure to get plenty of grease on the the crosswind arm. Those rails you see there on either side of the Crosswind Roller are intended to ride on the side plate under load.

If you look at the pictures in your other thread you can see the "tracks" left on the side plate from those rails and the good amount of grease the last guy put on the sideplate: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9515.msg86641#new to reduce friction.

best

Chris Gatorfan

Oh yeah....I definitely loaded that section down. After I had gotten it all cleaned up I saw where it had been rubbing against the plate, It was small but still noticable. She is very smooth now. I'm just glad i got ahold to it before anything major happened. All the Gear, pinion and bearing were still in good shape.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Alto Mare

Somehow I missed this one, great job on bringing that masterpiece back.

Quote from: Chris Gatorfan on January 20, 2014, 07:10:40 PM
All the Gear, pinion and bearing were still in good shape.

Why wouldn't they be?  ???  ;D

Thanks for sharing Chris, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

Well, since I'd never owned (or even seen) a 700 greenie, I bought one on eBay. When it arrived I found that the exterior looked great, but I could barely turn the handle.  >:(  Opening it up, I discovered the same thing as Chris: the grease had not only turned black, but actually hardened into what looked like shiny black epoxy... yuck!!  :P 

Still, I wasn't about to throw in the towel, and after about a week's worth of soaking, careful scraping, polishing and seriously OCD nitpicking, I actually brought it back to perfectly smooth-working life:

Not too shabby for an old gal, huh? (The reel, not me.)  ;)  :D

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

thorhammer

Guys these are awesome.  Well done. Considered by many to be prettiest reel coloring ever, and bulletproof.

J

Alto Mare

Aiala, that reel turned out  perfect, it belongs in a Museum.
Good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johndtuttle

Yep, every one needs a 704/710 or something in the lineage to simply appreciate. And we certainly do appreciate your fine work Aiala! :)

handi2

Looks like new..!

Now to find the Penn 702. It's the left hand model of the 700. The only left hand model with an even number.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

the_reel_doc

Top one is gone! :(    Second one does have FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE shipping!