What changes, if any, to the reels in this post would you make?

Started by Dominick, February 02, 2011, 05:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Keta: Loved the photos.  Fish that big excite me.  I have a daughter who lives in Loreto.  I visit there on occasian.  Fishing in Los Cabos is confusing.  The first time I fished there it was all lures.  The next trip I purchase a bunch of lures, lug them down, and they use live bait.  So I buy a bunch of expensive Owner Hooks and flourocarbon and the captain and mate don't like them.  They are slow to get up on flouro.  I lost a couple of Wahoo due to the flouro coming untied.  There is a learning curve to everything, but down there nothing is consistent.
Dom: I have an average size hand.  I guess I will go for a few handles.
Alan:  Send me a 6/0.  I'll PM you with the info, or if you tell me when you will be in your garage, I'll pick one up.  If you are available this Sat. I can get a feel for them and maybe buy 3 or 4.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Nice dorado. 

No Alan it was a spur of the moment trip in late January and I like a warm face when it's cold up here.  Normally I buzz both the beard and the head to about 1/2" for the trip.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

"Dominick, for what it's worth, I have the 6/0 kolekar grips on my 114H, 113H, and Int'l 50; the 4/0 on my jigmaster and Daiwa 350H (roughly a wide 3/0).  I wear a size 10 or 11 (XL) glove because no one has ever said I have petite hands. The 6/0 feels great!
Rob"

Rob:  Once I check out the feel of the 6/0 grip, I might put them on my 114HLW and the reels mentioned above.  Here is the question?  If the 6/0 grip feels good in your hand, why did you put different sizes on the smaller reels?  Hmmm I bet you went for esthetics, you dog you ;D.  Can you pick up a basketball with one hand? ;D  Dominick 

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

i'm watching dad again tonight, will probably be home at 11am, working on reels and skis until 1pm and then hitting the sack.  gonna take the 12 year old skiing this weekend.  catch me tomorrow afternoon if possible, otherwise some time next week.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Pescachaser on February 04, 2011, 03:57:35 AM
"Rob:  Once I check out the feel of the 6/0 grip, I might put them on my 114HLW and the reels mentioned above.  Here is the question?  If the 6/0 grip feels good in your hand, why did you put different sizes on the smaller reels?  Hmmm I bet you went for esthetics, you dog you ;D.  Can you pick up a basketball with one hand? ;D  Dominick 

No, but I can pick up a beer with one hand. ::)
Actually I tried to match the power needed with the anticipated load on the rod and reel. I also have the 2/0 grips on my 111, Newell 220 and Long Beach 60. Well, yeah, esthetics, too. ;D ;D  I don't think I could live with a 6/0 on a 60. :P    Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

Keta:  In one of the pictures (middle one) it looks like you have a fighting belt with a harness.  I cannot see it very well.  A couple of questions about it though, 1. What kind or brand is it?  2. Do you like it? 3. Did you try it out before buying it?  4. Did you try any others?  Are there any, in your opinion, I should stay away from?  I would appreciate it if you would take the time to answer these questions and make a recommendation on a harness.  Dominick

Dominick

Quote from: Pescachaser on February 09, 2011, 12:28:12 AM
Keta:  In one of the pictures (middle one) it looks like you have a fighting belt with a harness.  I cannot see it very well.  A couple of questions about it though, 1. What kind or brand is it?  2. Do you like it? 3. Did you try it out before buying it?  4. Did you try any others?  Are there any, in your opinion, I should stay away from?  I would appreciate it if you would take the time to answer these questions and make a recommendation on a harness.  Dominick

Hello Everyone:  I threw the above question out to Keta.  He may have missed it. So I'm throwing out the question again.  Anyone have advice on fighting belts and harnesses?  I read some reviews of some to stay away from.  Some are ridiculously expensive and don't look any different from the less expensive ones (notice I stayed away from saying the cheaper ones).  Less expensive doesn't necessarily mean cheaper  quality.  Dominick

alantani

i've got a couple that you can borrow and take with you to try out.......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: Pescachaser on February 09, 2011, 12:28:12 AM

Sorry, I did miss your post.  What you are seeing in the photo is a blue cloth towel.  I have a Smitty belt and plate I use occasionally and like it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain