Penn SSV upgraded gear sets

Started by newport, January 12, 2016, 02:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutman561

Quote from: handi2 on March 24, 2017, 11:09:09 PM
Quote from: troutman561 on March 24, 2017, 01:20:59 AM
I just bought the upgrade gears for my 4500 and they will be here next week. I have yet to even use the reel as I just got it but being as im restricted to land for the next couple weeks, this gives me an opportunity to mess with my stuff. Anyhow, can someone explain the needs for the shims to me? Is every reel different or is there a certain way these are expected to be put in? Do I have to install the gear, put the reel back together, and check for play to know if it needs shimming?

Yes you do have to assemble the reel to check the play. It might sound like a pain but its easy with these reels.

After assembly the reel should turn and spin very easy. If it does them hold the reel tight and push and pull on the handle and see if there is any play in and out where the handle screws in. There is usually no play on Penn reels.

If there is play add another shim under the bearing. If the reel is to tight remove one.
Thanks. There is actually a bit of play in stock form. Perhaps this new gear will solve that as well.

Alto Mare

You might need a shim or two on the handle side, Penn has those.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

troutman561

Put my new pinion and gear in tonight. Only took one shim. I didn't notice they had 2 on the gear already so I threw and extra one on and had to trial and error a couple of times but now its rock solid and the play it had in stock form was gone. Also fixed the drag seal as it was "cupped" and not tucked from the factory. The upgraded gear definitely looks more solid. Any idea what the difference is between the stock pinion and the updated one? They looked the same to me. Anyhow, they should just do this from the factory, if it's only a $50 difference that's not a break the bank situation. Plus their cost would be less I'm sure.

coastal_dan

The following is only my opinion:

I have a feeling it all goes back to price and the fact that probably 80% of the end users don't need the upgraded gears.  

Concerning price, adding the $50 gear puts that reel up into Clash price range and used Slammer III range.  So, by adding the gears at the factory it may affect the market for the other products, even though the SSV and Clash have different benefits to each segment that it is meant for.

Value engineering is a blessing and a curse, it brings the price down to affordable but the product looses some of its 'robust-ness'.  This basically leads into the step factor of available product...$45 dollar Pursuit II spinner all the way up to the $600+ Torque spinners.  Value also means multiple things...value in the fact that the Pursuit is a cheap real that can last in freshwater scenarios for quite a while, whereas many find the Torque to be of high value due to its longevity in being able to last for decades in just about any environment.  Cost analysis of 'hobby' sports is an interesting topic/dynamic and changes often.

Concerning my second point, if the original gears last for 3-5 years the end user usually buys a new reel anyway to replace the original.  For example, my SSV 6500 gets used about a dozen times a year surf fishing and maybe 1-2 times on private boats fishing for Mahi and similar.  I do not catch fish every time i got out (sad but true) so the gears aren't stressed as much as someone using that real every day pier fishing down in GA or FL.  I would like to upgrade the gears though at some point, just for longevity.

Its neat that they came out with them as an aftermarket for people like us who plan on using the reel for 5, 10, 20 years.

I'll end my rambling there  :D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

troutman561

Quote from: coastal_dan on March 28, 2017, 03:40:28 PM
The following is only my opinion:

I have a feeling it all goes back to price and the fact that probably 80% of the end users don't need the upgraded gears.  

Concerning price, adding the $50 gear puts that reel up into Clash price range and used Slammer III range.  So, by adding the gears at the factory it may affect the market for the other products, even though the SSV and Clash have different benefits to each segment that it is meant for.

Value engineering is a blessing and a curse, it brings the price down to affordable but the product looses some of its 'robust-ness'.  This basically leads into the step factor of available product...$45 dollar Pursuit II spinner all the way up to the $600+ Torque spinners.  Value also means multiple things...value in the fact that the Pursuit is a cheap real that can last in freshwater scenarios for quite a while, whereas many find the Torque to be of high value due to its longevity in being able to last for decades in just about any environment.  Cost analysis of 'hobby' sports is an interesting topic/dynamic and changes often.

Concerning my second point, if the original gears last for 3-5 years the end user usually buys a new reel anyway to replace the original.  For example, my SSV 6500 gets used about a dozen times a year surf fishing and maybe 1-2 times on private boats fishing for Mahi and similar.  I do not catch fish every time i got out (sad but true) so the gears aren't stressed as much as someone using that real every day pier fishing down in GA or FL.  I would like to upgrade the gears though at some point, just for longevity.

Its neat that they came out with them as an aftermarket for people like us who plan on using the reel for 5, 10, 20 years.

I'll end my rambling there  :D

Good points!

And you are definitely right about most people not needing the updated gears. Heck, a friend of mine gets offshore quite often and his go to for bottom fishing is his SSV 3500. He got it right when it came out and he regularly catches AJ's up to 30lbs and had caught gags up to 35in on it. That is on top of kingfish and more mangrove snapper than you can count. He has not had the first hint of trouble with his stock set. I have no legit reason for upgrading my gears other than the fact that I like to keep my gear until it corrodes away. And, I got burned on the Saragosa 6000F gear issues (replaced it 3 times) so I am a bit gear shy these days. This reel took that ones place. I am looking forward to many years of service from it.