What is it that makes you interested in reel repair or hot-rodding?

Started by sdlehr, January 18, 2016, 08:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Not sure where this belongs, mods, feel free to move it wherever might be better.

I've always been interested in human behavior, and I just read a thread in which it was pointed out that one guy doesn't repair/maintain his reels well, not even a fresh-water rinse after use in salt water. It got me wondering why we are so fastidious about maintaining our equipment and trying to push it to its limits, but others are not. I know for me it is 1)working with my hands, 2) attention to detail and 3) the application of technical knowledge to something I do regularly and thoroughly enjoy. I'm wondering if these characteristics are shared by most members... Have you anything to add? Why is it that we have congregated here instead of taking our reels to a tackle shop for service like (I presume) most people do.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

FatTuna

Good question.

For me it's a combination of things.

One is, I learned a while back that if you want something done right, do it yourself. Very few people are going to care about the condition of your equipment as much as you will. Yes, there are professionals out there that do good work but they are few and far between. Personally, I have yet to find a shop in my area that does legitimate work. Most guys just open the sideplate, slap some grease in there, and call it a day. I started off doing this because I sent a reel in for repair to a local tackle store; the guy basically destroyed my reel. That was my first rebuild. At that point, I vowed to learn how to do all of my own maintenance. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to send something in to get fixed, you wait a month, get a bill, and realize they didn't even fix it.....

Two is cost. If you have a skill set, it's always going to be cheaper to fix something yourself than to have to pay someone else to do it. I try to do my own work on as many things as I can to save money. I spend most of my free time fishing. Learning all of this was a worthwhile investment for me. All of this gear is really expensive, especially brand new Internationals, etc. Buying a reel with trashed bearings and rebuilding it became the only way I could afford this stuff.

Three, I've always enjoyed building things. Ever since I was a kid, I've always been the analytical type. I find it therapeutic and relaxing. I get satisfaction creating something or bringing an old girl back to life.

Four, it's made me better fisherman. Understanding  your equipment and how it relates to what you are doing is going to help you land more fish. I love taking things apart to learn how they work. I'll take apart anything, lol.

johndtuttle

The Tinkering bit is fun and all...

But the breakthrough for me was fishing a perfectly serviced reel versus one that had been neglected.

At one point in our fishing lives most of us fished that reel with the skipping ar, rough gears, jerky drag or clunky mechanism of some kind not doing its job right...ruins the fun of fishing.

Conversely, a perfectly maintained reel that is smooth as butter in every regard...is it's own reward and makes fishing more fun.

alantani

Quote from: FatTuna on January 18, 2016, 09:22:49 PM
Good question.

For me it's a combination of things.

One is, I learned a while back that if you want something done right, do it yourself. Very few people are going to care about the condition of your equipment as much as you will. Yes, there are professionals out there that do good work but they are few and far between. Personally, I have yet to find a shop in my area that does legitimate work. Most guys just open the sideplate, slap some grease in there, and call it a day. I started off doing this because I sent a reel in for repair to a local tackle store; the guy basically destroyed my reel. That was my first rebuild. At that point, I vowed to learn how to do all of my own maintenance. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to send something in to get fixed, you wait a month, get a bill, and realize they didn't even fix it.....

Two is cost. If you have a skill set, it's always going to be cheaper to fix something yourself than to have to pay someone else to do it. I try to do my own work on as many things as I can to save money. I spend most of my free time fishing. Learning all of this was a worthwhile investment for me. All of this gear is really expensive, especially brand new Internationals, etc. Buying a reel with trashed bearings and rebuilding it became the only way I could afford this stuff.

Three, I've always enjoyed building things. Ever since I was a kid, I've always been the analytical type. I find it therapeutic and relaxing. I get satisfaction creating something or bringing an old girl back to life.

Four, it's made me better fisherman. Understanding  your equipment and how it relates to what you are doing is going to help you land more fish. I love taking things apart to learn how they work. I'll take apart anything, lol.

couldn't have said it better! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelhead_killer

I agree with all that has been said.  Here are a couple other reasons I do it.  I am competitive.  When I do something I want to do it the very best.  That means doing it in a way that not only produces a better product but better performance, which leads to better results.  In fishing reels, the performance is in the maintenance and upgrades.  Lastly,  Im attracted to bright shiny things...  :o ::)
><)))">

sdlehr

Quote from: steelhead_killer on January 18, 2016, 11:31:22 PM
Lastly,  Im attracted to bright shiny things...  :o ::)
We went out to dinner with friends a few nights ago, and when asked which of my reels was her favorite my wife's response was, "The shiny one".
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Three se7ens

Quote from: sdlehr on January 18, 2016, 11:44:22 PM
Quote from: steelhead_killer on January 18, 2016, 11:31:22 PM
Lastly,  Im attracted to bright shiny things...  :o ::)
We went out to dinner with friends a few nights ago, and when asked which of my reels was her favorite my wife's response was, "The shiny one".

That sounds like something my wife would say. 

Ron Jones

I must admit a bit of enjoyment in putting something fantastic together, but in all honesty I am able to fish withh fantastic gear for a fraction of the cost. That is probably why I just do a little bit of rod work, it's hard to save as much money in rods as you can in reels.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelfish

LOL my answer is not going to be as interesting as yours guys

I got attracted to reel repair because there is no one on my town who offer that service, my town is also far from any city that offer fishing reel repairs, send them to USA is kind of expensive for me and sometimes it takes me too long to pick something up on my PO box, so my best option from many years ago was to get my hands dirty and learn how to do it myself.

I've been following the boss since many years ago for that reason, hey compadre how do you repair this thingy? what about this other reel? my reel dont turn, where do I have to look at? etc, etc. and of course he always answered me with his best recommendation that always worked.

currently I know many tricks on different reels that helped me to offer that missing service of reel rapair & service locally  ;D, not like a small open to public bussiness but like a side job with friends, friends of my friends and relatives of them.

but of course, since kid I like to get my hands dirty of grease and mud, reels offered me that opportunity and I didnt let it go.
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

I've always been fascinated by the mechanics of things...I've been like that my all  life. Fishing reels, included! We did not invent the reel here, but we've been able to add a few extras to make them work a little better or, at least, think we did!
It's a good feeling when you know that you are fishing a reel that you enhanced in some way. Everyone pretty much knows the basic functionality of a fishing reel, but not many folks take the time to dissect a reel to fully understand what makes it function! I really enjoy working on reels, even when things do not go as planned.
Personally, I find it relaxing and rewarding!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

When I was in grade school, my father and I would go fishing almost every Saturday. When we got home, we'd clean the fish then go the the den where my father would pour a scotch (or three). Then we'd take a part, clean, repair and lube our reels. We did that **every time** we went fishing. Over the years I began servicing my friends' reels, and then when I left academia (23 years is long enough to do anything) I put my Ph.D. to use and opened a reel repair shop. I now make a living servicing reels. SE Alaska may be the only place I can do this. It's great: I get to talk fishing everyday, learn where the fish are biting -- and find myself on the water three or four mornings a week throughout the summer.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Reel 224

My interest is taking things apart and fixing them to make them work better, That said it is true if you want something done right then do it yourself.

Ive been working with guns for 50 years and I have a love for making those things work better, As I got involved in servicing my own reels and realized a whole new world of reel repair and modification or (Hot Rodding) Reels on this site, it made it even more exciting then ever. Especially the people you meet on the Alan Tani site.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

theswimmer

More than any other reason I love the fact I am fishing the same gear that my Grandfathers and my Dad caught  many ,many fish on.
Both Grandpas and my Dad were fastidious about their gear and that allows me to have a link to them that I cherish.
Dad bought a Penn 500 that he never got to fish, on the Morro Bay trip I got to catch fish on that reel.
Tearing that reel down and cleaning/servicing post trip linked me right back to both Grandpas and Dad.

Working on Grandpa Gadds 349 red as we speak.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Bill B

I love the tinkering part...tearing something down, studying the mechanics, then putting it back together....what a way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon.  Then if I get to take it fishing, catch a fish then feed my family a fish dinner, with a reel that I rebuilt..."Great Times", not to mention the satisfaction for doing it myself....it may sound silly but I feel the same way if I can grow a garden and feed my family the harvest...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

Just the satisfaction alone of Catching a Giant Fish with a 40 year old reel that I Hot rodded with advice and parts from all my friends here is enough for me. ;)
I have always maintained my own vehicles, do my own home repairs and anything else that needs fixing.
Its just how I do it.
You would be really surprised how many people that don't know how a screwdriver works.  :P
Go ahead, spend that $800 dollars on a brake job.
I can do it myself for a Hundred.  :-*
$4000 for a ceramic tile upgrade in the Kitchen.
Took the free class at Home Depot. 3 G discount. ;D
It all comes down to determination and your abilities.
Hot Rodding Reels is right up my alley. ;)
Life is Good!