back braiding cable aka molly hogan splice

Started by Southernsharker, January 15, 2016, 12:59:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southernsharker

Hey guys wondering if any of you that use cable for leaders ever use the molly hogan.  My brother and pop are steel workers and they have used that technique quite a bit to hold some heavy loads when in a pinch.  Well.my brother is wanting to start using  that technique on our shark rigs full time since you eliminate the crimp on the wire and it would be nice to not have to bring crimps and a swag tool to redo leaders ever time you have to cut the hook. What are your thoughts on that splice.

Shark Hunter

Not familiar with it Brandon. I looked it up and it looks like it will work.
If I have to cut the hook, I just get out a new leader.
I use a hand swager and its pretty compact.
You don't need a Giant one to get the job done.
I use 480lb cable.
Life is Good!

Southernsharker

We use 480 on our small to moderate rigs and run 3/32 920 cable for our big rigs.  I usually bring 8 -10 rigs for a all day and nighter which is plenty but I have had it were I get cut off or have to cut the leader to pull my hooks out and on my big double rigs it sucks to bring the crimpers I have not seen a small hand tool for 3/32 that doesn't cost a arm and a leg haha. I just figured it was worth looking into I seen on YouTube after I posted that troy the moderator for sos has a video of cable braiding were that's all he uses now it was pretty informative he had two tigers over 12 and 2 over 11 that year on those setups

Shark Hunter

I would follow Troy's Lead. The guy has it going on.
I fish within a mile of his house twice a year, but never have fished with him.
He is the type of fisherman that never gives up. Spends every second on the water, No matter how long it takes. It is like they are spending their last day fishing and will not leave the beach.
All Day, All Night, Rain and wind. Nothing stops guys like him from putting them on the sand.
Life is Good!

Southernsharker

Yeah I saw last week they were lightin the dusky up some absolute brutes. I'll make some leader and take them with me to sanibel in two weeks and let you know. My regular setup I do two overhand braids on my mono and my cable before  I crimp it but have never separated the cable and straight braided it. I know last year we landed a 8 ft bull that the crimp failed and the only thing holding it together at the hook was two overhand knot braid it didn't even slip it was interesting

Shark Hunter

I have yet to have a crimp fail. I only use Brass and double crimp every connection. 2.2 and 1.6.
My hand crimper is a Billfisher. Very affordable and very effective.
I've built a lot of rigs with it and its still going strong.
I can't seem to find a picture of it, but it is a $20 piece of hardware and will make many rigs.

Life is Good!

Southernsharker

Yeah the crimp that failed was done by my little brother although I did have some aluminum crimps on 600 lbs mono that when pressed to spec after being soaked all night then hung in the garage actually loosened up so I had to actually crush them a little more..I'm not sure if the mono shrinks and expands or what.  I use 2.6mm and 2.2 and some other sizes depending on 400lb or 600 lbs mono and 1/16th or 3/32.  Ive Never had a cable bitten through but have seen 480 serrated usually always because of hook placement on a tiger. I like your leaders I us catchall and Mustad 20/0 for my circles and 12/0-16/0 Mustad for my j's also love the 11 and 12/0 jobu 4x.  I'll pick up one of the bill fisher swags that's a great price. 

Now you said you use brass for your crimps do you use that on your mono also or do you run aluminum on the mono? I use nickel,brass and copper on the cable and aluminum on the mono.

Also I'm digging the long line clips how do you like them? I've thought of using them before but could never put my hands on them to see if I like them. I know they have to be strong.

Shark Hunter

I use brass for all the crimps. But I've only used mono up to 130lb.
You can see double 1.6 crimps on that rosco swivel that is on the Bezerker.
The only problem with the hand crimper. I think it only goes to 2.2.
I always call my crimper a billfisher. It is a Sea Striker.

Life is Good!