Shimano Curado Brake pin

Started by DoobieNaq, January 21, 2016, 03:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoobieNaq

I like tinkering with things to see how they tick, so I've been cleaning my own reels and doing the repairs when the need arises, but I can't say that I know a lot about this stuff.  I recently received an old Curado Bantam Cu-200 that is in need  of a little TLC.  After taking off the side plate, I realized that one of the brake pins (as well as the brake collar) was loose and rattling around inside the housing (as in, not attached at all).  Question: is it completely necessary to replace the entire spool on this model to fix it? will the reel perform at acceptable levels without the pin and brake collar?  The only place I could find a compatible spool was ereplacementparts.com ($40), but I can buy the same old reel for $50 from ebay.  What should I do? The thoughts as of now is to clean it and give it a whirl because I was given the reel to begin with.

Zimbass

It will work fine without the pin, but they can be glued back in place. The silver ring can be removed, and the pin pushed back inside the casing.

The brake collar is optional. Some people actually remove the brake collars from the pins , and only leave the collars on the pins they need for effective braking.

Sure you will enjoy playing !

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Pro Reel

Most older shimano reels will have that same problem. Check all the pins, you will see that some of the others have a small crack in the black plastic and the pins will be loose. They all need to be fixed. The method I use involves pulling them all out, using a fine stone on a dremmel to grind down the wedge shape on the end that's in the plastic, just a bit. Then use gorilla brand super glue to glue them back in place. You have to make sure you don't get any on the part of the pin that stays out, our the tabs will never slide smooth again. You also need to be sure you don't get any build up around the base area, or the tabs will not be able to be locked down anymore. It's easy to mess up trying to repair these. The best way for me is to remove the inner collar also, grind the wedges off the pins, reinsert the pins, but push them past the bottom into the center, add the drop of glue to the bottom of the pin, then pull it back into the housing. repeat with each pin, then glue the collar back in place. make sure you don't get any buildup on the inner surface of the collar, or it will rub on the brake ring in the side cover.

DoobieNaq

Zimbass, I will definitely enjoy pulling this reel apart and getting a better understanding of how it works.

Pro Reel, I will definitely give that a try because you are absolutely right - I had noticed that the black plastic ring was cracked by nearly all of the pins.  Thank you