Glad for Amazon!

Started by foakes, May 06, 2024, 11:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

foakes

7 years ago, I was needing a mid-sized chain saw since there was a need to drop, remove, and process around 110 Ponderosa Pines that were beetle-killed and a fire hazard as well as a falling issue.

Had a Stihl 460 with a 36" bar, plus a little Stihl 170 with a 16" bar.

Found a Stihl 036 with a 28" bar on CL.  Checked starting, cranking compression, general condition.  It was a solid saw.  Paid $300.  Picked up a couple of new square chisel cut skip chains, spark plugs, air filters.

Got it home, cut steadily well for a week, or so —- then it wouldn't start.

Narrowed it down to a lack of spark —- then narrowed it further to a faulty magneto.  Called the local Stihl Ace Hardware —- a Stihl magneto was $132!

Checked on Amazon, China manufactured magneto was $18 with over 2000 5 star ratings.  Ordered it, it arrived 2 days later, installed it —- started better than it ever had before.

Adjusted carb settings and low & high idle and run screws.

It has cut over 80 cords of wood.  Not one issue.

5 months ago, a neighbor gave me a Husqvarna 145BT backpack blower that had set out for a Winter.

Finally got around to putting it up on the bench last Thursday.  Compression was good, cleaned the air filter, wiped off the crud, poured gas mix in the tank.  It came out the bottom of the carb as fast as it could.

OK, checked the carb —- the return gas line was off the tank, and the primer-bulb was cracked completely.

Checked on Amazon again —- could have bought the parts possibly needed separately, plus a new spark plug —- would run around $42.  That sounded OK, but there is always something that is missed when doing these kind of repairs.

So I look a little further down the Amazon page —- and find a complete new carburetor, gasket, (2) primer bulbs, a full gas line kit with a filter and a spare, plus a new spark plug —- for $15.95 with nearly 1000 4.5 to 5 star ratings.  Ordered it, free shipping scheduled to be here tomorrow, showed up a day early.

The Husqvarna kit was 8 times this price —- and it was also made in Asia by Kawasaki, as is this one.

Should work.  I will report in a few days.  If not, no big deal.  Worth a shot.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

;D  ;D  ;D  I have been buying them this way for years .  It is ridicules  to buy a primmer bulb and fuel line .for what they want for them    Try to find diaphragm kit for the carb  .   The local small gas engine shops are disappearing , was nice to pick up 6 bulbs and 4 foot of fuel line to keep on hand .
                 These kits are reasonable priced ,quick swap and one of the few time`s ,I done mine seeing  parts leftover .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare