Quantum Cabo CBC30pts

Started by mackereljoe, August 13, 2011, 03:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackereljoe

I got this reel awhile back.  Since new it has a weak drag and anything over 2 pounds it starts to chatter.   So replaced replaced the fiber under the gear with ht100 965 and 2 114H size drag grinded down to fit (needed 2 to go above the inner lip).  With this drag greased, i'm getting about 3.5 pounds of drag, a little light but very smooth but it's embarrasing not to be able to bounce bonito or cuda. 

Just replaced a 4/0 with carbontex and it has the old thick smoothies washer; now i'm wondering if one (grinded down to fit) 114H smoothies have enough drag to get me to 5 pounds?  This reel is way too big to only fish 12# line.  Appreciate any help.

alantani

any possibility that you have spectra that is slipping on the spool?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mackereljoe

Re-spooled with a few wraps of mono first and then spectra, checked and no luck.  I'm seriously thinking of ordering parts from Quantum that will replaced the ceramic drag washer.  Checked the old Quantum Iron 120C same ht100 upgrade and I can get over 5 pounds.

Further tear-down and rebuild again and again.  Also found the trip rachet is smaller thereby the ht100 under the gear was trimmed smaller. 

Plan A:  Will try again with one 114H first and then top with carbontex for my Daiwa since it has the same inside diameter.
Plan B:  If this don't work i'll go ahead and try the one thick smoothie.
Plan C:  Reel back in the drawer.
Thanks Alan.

mackereljoe

Plan A worked, now getting about #6.  I stopped testing in fear of stripping the tread since the gear shaft is made of aluminum and only an anti-reverse bearing.  With right thumb in spool and left thumb pressing the line in the foregrip outa be able to bounce any of the 3 Bs.

redsetta

Nice work Joe - success is sweet!
I understand the max drag on these is just over 10# (with a bit more from a Carbontex upgrade), so it should stand up to a bit more punishment...
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

reel bob

Need help....Cant figure how to disassemble this reel

mackereljoe

Normall i start by removing the handle.  Open the left side plate, there should be 2 screw bars that goes all the whole lenght way to the right side plate, remove them.  Remove the spool and under it on inner right plate is a single screw, remove it.  Now unscrew the lubricating port screw until it no longer connected.   That should do it.

jiggyjig

Hi guys, I need a new bearing for the line roller guide on the bail arm - does anybody know the dimensions/bearing number so i can get an after sales version? Cheers JJ  ;)

jefffrizzle2001

Does anybody know which carbon washers will fit this reel?

i have this reel in the LH version (CBC31PTS)

i was given these measurements from Quantum, but not been able to find anything that fits

QW111-01
Thickness    .0385in
Id              .3215in
Od             .6500in

HV059-01
Thickness   .0600in
Id              .7200in
Od             1.500in

any help would be appreciated thanks

Jeff

Hook um

Quote from: jefffrizzle2001 on January 30, 2016, 03:18:54 AM
Does anybody know which carbon washers will fit this reel?

i have this reel in the LH version (CBC31PTS)

i was given these measurements from Quantum, but not been able to find anything that fits

QW111-01
Thickness    .0385in
Id              .3215in
Od             .6500in

HV059-01
Thickness   .0600in
Id              .7200in
Od             1.500in

any help would be appreciated thanks

Jeff

Jeff,
Smooth Drags Carbon Fiber Washer sizes (General Maintenance Tips Section)

Check #1 at .04 thickness & # 61.  They are closest to your specs.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130702024204/http://www.smoothdrag.com/Carbontex_Sizes_2_rev6-2012.pdf

BoB