Fin-Nor ST50 Sportfisher Video Tutorial

Started by ReelSpeed, February 06, 2011, 05:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelSpeed

Okay, I decided to give this a try and see how everyone likes it. It is much harder to do things "live", but it is much easier than having to take pictures, write a tutorial and arrange everything.. So, I would appreciate all feedback on this and if you guys prefer a video or written tutorial. If the majority of people prefer the written ones, then I will just go back to those. I just wanted to give this a shot and see what you guys think. Enjoy!

-Aaron
ReelSpeed

Data Sheet: http://www.finnorfishing.com/PDF/SportfisherST_2010.pdf

Now that I know youtube only allows 15min videos.. I had to break this up into 4 sections.  I really don't like that too much, so unless you guys really like the video tutorial and don't mind the 4 different sections, I will probably look at doing it differently.  thanks.

Part 1 of 4

Part 2 of 4

Part 3 of 4

Part 4 of 4
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

wallacewt

oh my!the most thorough video i have seen.id be scared to go over 15lb drag,but what in the hell.you dont have to.well worth your time and effort.thanks aaron.

Bryan Young

Thanks Aaron.  Tutorials are much harder than they appear to make.  Looks like you need a bearing packer.  Will make you life much easier, especially with tiny bearings or metal shield bearings.  
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ReelSpeed

Actually, I do have a bearing packer.. I just thought that the majority of people don't and that showing them the correct way without one would work better..

Ya, the video tutorial is easier because you just film and maybe make a couple quick edits, but the "live" side of things is actually kinda difficult... I do a lot of music recording, and it is the same as what we call "one taking" it.. just step up to the mic and do it right the first time..
(562) 261-5190

alantani

omg, that looks like alot of work.  i've been thinking of doing the same thing but i don't know anything about photo editing or youtube.  guess i'm going to have to learn.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ReelSpeed

If you want, I can tell you what you need to buy and how to use it.. Honestly, I think it is actually much easier than writing it up. This tutorial took the 1 hour for the content and then uploading to youtube just depends on how high of quality you want.. the higher the quality, the longer it takes.  But the computer is doing the work, not you.  Let me know if you want some info.
(562) 261-5190

Viennacop

What a hell of a job! Wow, I am deeply impressed and wait for more! I hope you service spinners as well - I would love to see a tutorial like this on a stella FA-series.

Thanks!

Willi

ReelSpeed

Actually, for the first video, I was going to service a Shimano Spirex Rear drag spinner... I thought people would enjoy watching that!  ;D

U got a Stella to service? ;)
(562) 261-5190

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Viennacop

Quote from: ReelSpeed on February 08, 2011, 08:47:47 PM
Actually, for the first video, I was going to service a Shimano Spirex Rear drag spinner... I thought people would enjoy watching that!  ;D

U got a Stella to service? ;)

Right now I one 7 Stellas FA (2500 to 10000) and I would love to service them after my next trip. To be honest until now I just serviced the drag system and I broke a dartanium washer on my 6000FA - now I wait for the spare part ......

I own some other spinners from Shimano, but they are all front drags - not a singe rear drag system is in my collection.

So if you ask me, I woul prefer a Shimano spinner with front drag.

regards,
Willi

Bucktail

A little late to this thread, but I have to congratulate you and say thanks for a great tutorial!  Only thing I would question is that REO Speedwagon ringtone!  I mean, come on!  What's up with that?  J/K ;D

Recently, I was able to pick up a couple of the Sportfisher ST30 combos at a very good price.  They are ST30 reels mounted to fiberglass rods rated for 50-80 lb line.

I will be going on a 20 man overnight tuna charter in October and we are forbidden by the boat to use any type of braided line on the trip (even for jigging) ::).  Well, that eliminates every one of my tuna reels.  So, rather than pulling off all the braid on my reels and respooling, I was thinking of spooling up these Sportfisher ST30 reels with 40 (or maybe 50) lb. mono and trying them out.

Planning to set the drags at around 15 to 18 lbs.  Do you think these reels will hold up to tuna up to about 100 lbs or so?

Thanks,
Bob
Just a jig-a-lo

ReelSpeed

Quote from: Bucktail on August 27, 2012, 04:41:52 AM
A little late to this thread, but I have to congratulate you and say thanks for a great tutorial!  Only thing I would question is that REO Speedwagon ringtone!  I mean, come on!  What's up with that?  J/K ;D

Recently, I was able to pick up a couple of the Sportfisher ST30 combos at a very good price.  They are ST30 reels mounted to fiberglass rods rated for 50-80 lb line.

I will be going on a 20 man overnight tuna charter in October and we are forbidden by the boat to use any type of braided line on the trip (even for jigging) ::).  Well, that eliminates every one of my tuna reels.  So, rather than pulling off all the braid on my reels and respooling, I was thinking of spooling up these Sportfisher ST30 reels with 40 (or maybe 50) lb. mono and trying them out.

Planning to set the drags at around 15 to 18 lbs.  Do you think these reels will hold up to tuna up to about 100 lbs or so?

Thanks,
Bob

Hey Bob, I think these would do you just fine.  The internals are rock solid and they have great drags from the factory.  I probably wouldn't fish it much over 20lbs of drag, just because of the cast aluminum frame.  Sometimes frames like this can crack if they are left in a rod holder with more than 20lbs of drag and a fish strikes...but other than that scenario, I think it is an awesome reel.

I load mine with 80# mono and use it on the troll..  You might want to buy a power handle from Alan and bolt it on..but that is just personal preference.

Aaron
(562) 261-5190

wallacewt

Bucktail

Quote from: ReelSpeed on August 28, 2012, 05:33:55 AM
Quote from: Bucktail on August 27, 2012, 04:41:52 AM

Thanks,
Bob

Hey Bob, I think these would do you just fine.  The internals are rock solid and they have great drags from the factory.  I probably wouldn't fish it much over 20lbs of drag, just because of the cast aluminum frame.  Sometimes frames like this can crack if they are left in a rod holder with more than 20lbs of drag and a fish strikes...but other than that scenario, I think it is an awesome reel.

I load mine with 80# mono and use it on the troll..  You might want to buy a power handle from Alan and bolt it on..but that is just personal preference.

Aaron

Thank you Aaron.  I will give them a shot.
Just a jig-a-lo

Bucktail

One of my ST30 reels is not engaging immediately after taking it out of freespool.  I can turn the handle several times after I move the lever up before it engages.  The other is fine.  What do you think I should look at to correct this problem?
Just a jig-a-lo