Penn 170 From Down Under

Started by mo65, October 27, 2019, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

You see it on this site all the time...people not only sharing reel info and parts...but also the actual reels. My most prized reels are the ones I've received as gifts. When Col(milne) messaged me that he was going to send me a reel, naturally I was excited, but he didn't say what it was. Only that I would really like it. Like it??...I damn near fell over when I opened the box!! I live only 500 miles from the factory that made this reel, yet I'll probably never see a 170 show up around here. To think this one traveled half way around the world...fished for decades...then back to the place where it was born...that's quite a journey! Col, you're a special kinda person, thanks a million. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

SWEET !!  Gotta' love this place, don't ya' !!!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

akfish

I did not know the 170 ever existed. Can you tell the board what it is? Is it a wide 160? Or a 155 without a drag? Thanks.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mo65

Quote from: akfish on October 27, 2019, 03:43:23 PM
I did not know the 170 ever existed. Can you tell the board what it is? Is it a wide 160? Or a 155 without a drag? Thanks.

It's like a 160 without a drag, chrome rings, or anti-reverse. It was a budget model that didn't sell big, leading to it's huge collectibility today. You can see more about it here: https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17667.0

broadway

Col, ya done good! Class act move bud!
Well deserved, Mo! Enjoy your treasure... those are tough finds for sure.
Makes me happy to see this sort of thing... thank you!
Dom

Donnyboat

Good deeds Col, true AHANA, Mo you do good work on this forum, & we all respect you enjoy, We Aussies not a bad lot ay, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

milne

Was an absolute pleasure Mo,
All the help you give to those in a little need of some technical or how to help, is way appreciated.
As I said, these reels need to be seen, not kept in multiples and hoarded, I've been lucky with this model, right place right time, that's all.

The one thing that was amazing about this reel, was it probably shouldn't have even arrived at Mo's place !!!
Completely forgot to put the zip code on the box !!! Was embarrassed beyond belief with my mistake.
Was praying to whoever was listening for a week or two, I don't mind saying. But thankfully, it was meant to be  ;D

Col

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

foakes

Very generous, Col --

Reel went to a guy who will always treasure it, also...

You are a gentleman, a scholar, and a judge of rare reels.

Solid Ohana -- all the way!

Class Act.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: milne on October 27, 2019, 10:07:19 PM
The one thing that was amazing about this reel, was it probably shouldn't have even arrived at Mo's place !!! Completely forgot to put the zip code on the box !!!

I still can't believe this reel made it here with no zip code. I bet some friendly postal worker added the zip code before that package ever left Col's hometown.  8)