Looking at new Andros A-5NS

Started by Bob from RI, March 02, 2016, 01:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob from RI

My wife talked me into a boat last winter, my brother bought me a conventional rod for Christmas this year, so I had no choice but to take the plunge on a suitable conventional reel . . .

So anyway, here's a first take, and I'm hoping to add more pictures, and eventually a full blown teardown (I don't have the right tools for that at the moment, so I'm going to avoid mangling the reel)

But first impressions . . .
1) for anyone considering this reel for Trevala S, know that the reel foot is a little snug for the Shimano rod seat.  I've got it set on a 66MH, which might be a bit over-rod for the reel, but time will tell.
2) the machining is fantastic, and the reel is pretty.  You should expect as much.
3) after tuning down the drag to make sure nothing was going to get hurt, empty spool the reel seems to have good free-spool and is super smooth at strike.  No slop or back-play in the anti-reverse.
4) the reel, though small and light, comes with a reel clamp, but with some of the newer, lower profile jigging rods, the minimum clamping diameter might be too large for a lot of narrower rods.
5) the few screws that I pulled (reel foot, right side plate) are t10, and will eventually get grease, though at least the reel foot and reel clamp bolts have blue thread lock.
6) the reel also comes with a small vial of oil, but it essentially assumes you have your own tools . . . the t10 90-degree tool that comes in the box seems a bit sloppy in the bolts, and probably is an emergency use only sort of thing.
7) dumbbell testing only after spooled with 40lb hollow ace and a topper of 20yds or so 40lb fluorocarbon, smooth operation with the drag set to pick up 5-7lb dumbbell at strike, no binding at same preset "full," picking up 15lb dumbbell.
8) some of the edges around the thumb relief might seem a bit sharp to some . . . should put the reel in your hand to experience if you're considering.

EDIT
9)  OHHHH!  I forgot, my wife actually noticed this, turning the clicker on (which is plenty loud), is relatively easy, push the button down towards the reel foot . . . BUUUUUUT, pulling that same switch up to turn the clicker OFF takes some serious leverage.

We'll see what the fish think...stay tuned.

anglingarchitect

Clamps on Tib frames don't work on some of my rods, that are smaller diameter.

Rivverrat

My biggest complaint on my Andros 5N which is not an A series is how Okuma does the spring washer stack. It is under a good amount of tension. I fish mine at 10 lbs. of drag with 40 lb. line for abrasion & just in case I need to put more pressure on a fish than 30 would allow. I've used mine a good bit & I just dont like having to replace these washers as often as I have. Dropping my drag level from 13 lbs. to 10 lbs. has seemed to help some. However this has become a deal breaker on this reel for me. Great reel except for this one issue on mine.

I have an Andros A 12 that I just love. The low speed model I have has perfect line capacity & gearing for my use. I settled on fishing it at 15 lbs. before strike & hit 20 lbs. at the strike position. I think Okuma made a mistake with only a 2 - 3 lb. increase in drag at full. Has had me scratching my head on that one.

I hope your A- Series does better for you than mine & it should. Your clicker will loosen up a bit with use but will for the most part always take some effort to get it off. Would have thought they would have done something on this. My 12's clicker is not this way....Jeff