Anyone have a crawdad (mudbug, crayfish, etc) recipe....

Started by Bill B, June 24, 2014, 01:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Looking to cook some of the little buggers soon.....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tightlines667

I always just used the crab boil.  They probably have a crawdad-specific recipe available online.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Uh,
Boiling water and clear melted butter? Their one of my favorites, never saw a need to mess with them. If you boil them in a broken beer bottle around a fire at midnight it is the best.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

PacRat

I've learned a little while working in the gulf. I get a lot of tips and use them all. They say you should purge your bugs before cooking. Just put them in a cooler with salt water for a little while before cooking them. I'm not certain how much salt of for how long but I've been doing this and I do think it gets the muddiness out of them. The salt water will be very funky when you transfer them to the boiling pot.

Doctor up the boil. I like a good spicy boil with lots of red pepper and cloves. They say the powdered mixes are better than the liquid.  They say if you add butter it help the shells slip of when you're eating them and it doesn't taste too bad either. Also add potatoes (small red ones are best). Put lemon halves, corn on the cobb, onions and garlic cloves after the potatoes have cooked a bit. Add your bugs last then let the good times roll.

Mike