14/0 three piece spool

Started by FatTuna, July 23, 2016, 12:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

I'm selling a 14/0 and potential buyers keep asking if it has a three piece spool. Is there a way to tell without pulling the line off the spool? Perhaps by looking at the spindle?

I don't believe I've ever seen a three piece 14/0 spool before. Anyone have a picture?

Shark Hunter

Come to think of it Sean. I haven't either.
Lets see a pic of your reel.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

3 or not, PM me where you want to be on this reel.

John

Tightlines667

Here's mine...
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

FatTuna

This is the best shot I could get of the spool with the backing on there.

Thanks for the pic John. Definitely never seen one of those in person.

Are the three piece spools only found on the really old 14/0s? Which spool do you feel is more desirable?

Judging by the picture, the three piece appears to have a different shape. Might just be the picture though. Also, the arbor appears to be narrower.

Makule

The old Senators all had 3-piece spools, as shown in one of the referenced threads (the spool shown in the Tightlines666 reel is a 3-piece).  The newer ones had cast bronze spools.  They are easy to tell apart.  The arbor on the 3-piece spools have the flanges attached with a convex "bump".  The cast bronze spools have a smooth, concave, curve from the arbor to flanges.

The cast bronze spools are stronger and heavier than the 3-piece spools.  Not so much an issue with line that doesn't stretch much (I.E., spectra fiber), but mono will easily split the spool.  I've even had mono split a cast bronze spool on a 12/0 reel, and the added pressure on the large diameter 14/0 spool would results in increased stress (not sure whether it would be considered tensional or shear stress).
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

FatTuna

Quote from: Makule on July 26, 2016, 02:21:43 AM
The old Senators all had 3-piece spools, as shown in one of the referenced threads (the spool shown in the Tightlines666 reel is a 3-piece).  The newer ones had cast bronze spools.  They are easy to tell apart.  The arbor on the 3-piece spools have the flanges attached with a convex "bump".  The cast bronze spools have a smooth, concave, curve from the arbor to flanges.

The cast bronze spools are stronger and heavier than the 3-piece spools.  Not so much an issue with line that doesn't stretch much (I.E., spectra fiber), but mono will easily split the spool.  I've even had mono split a cast bronze spool on a 12/0 reel, and the added pressure on the large diameter 14/0 spool would results in increased stress (not sure whether it would be considered tensional or shear stress).

Thanks for the write up. That all makes sense.

I did notice the flanges in Johns picture.

The spool in this reel is heavy with thick walls. I can't inspect the arbor right this minute.

Shark Hunter

Another way is to look at the spools edges. See how the three piece is more rounded on the ends.
Can't remember where I heard that, but it was here.
Life is Good!

FatTuna

Good call Shark Hunter. The three piece is definitely rounded. The one I have is chrome over brass.

Makule

I believe this is correct.

Too, my recollection is that the cast bronze spool have a bit more satin finish than the 3-piece chrome.  Think it has to do with casting and cutting on the lathe, versus forming plates in a press.  The lathe work leaves a bit rougher finish (although it can be made very smooth), while the pressed flanges start with a smooth finished plate that is cut out to size and then pressed to form the shape.

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 26, 2016, 03:16:25 AM
Another way is to look at the spools edges. See how the three piece is more rounded on the ends.
Can't remember where I heard that, but it was here.

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bill B

Good explanation guys.....the more I read the more I learn....need better glasses 'cuz there's a lot for me to learn....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!