Main Menu

Crab Season

Started by theswimmer, February 12, 2016, 07:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

All I can tell you for certain is, my puller and pots go on the boat tomorrow, fishing Monday weather permitting.
Crab will go live into boiling sea water as soon as I get home cracked cleaned zip locked and in to the freezer.
I have 12 in my family with kids and grandkids included and we eat about 30 crab for one Saturday evening dinner at my house.  We will eat crab every Saturday as long as I am fishing for them.

TomT

So, the crab season has finally opened so we can catch and eat contaminated crab???? ::)   This doesn't make sense??   It really doesn't affect me as I plan to leave soon for an extended visit to Baja.  I can understand not eating the 'butter" or other parts, but I don't understand having to kill the crab before cooking it (mainly because every crab cooker(person) that I know would never cook a dead crab??  I hope no one gets sick or worse because the gov't opened the crab season too soon!!
TomT

Reel 224

Quote from: TomT on February 14, 2016, 06:08:31 AM
So, the crab season has finally opened so we can catch and eat contaminated crab???? ::)   This doesn't make sense??   It really doesn't affect me as I plan to leave soon for an extended visit to Baja.  I can understand not eating the 'butter" or other parts, but I don't understand having to kill the crab before cooking it (mainly because every crab cooker(person) that I know would never cook a dead crab??  I hope no one gets sick or worse because the gov't opened the crab season too soon!!
TomT

Tom: As long as the crab is alive when you split them and clean the parts that should be removed and then cook them as soon as you clean them they should be fine. Ive Killed and cleaned Blue Claw crabs for many years to cook in tomato gravy, and I'm still here.

I think fish and game is telling people this is to minimize the contamination of cooking the crab in its own internals which are the main source of contamination.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

David Hall

So my crab fishing journey began Friday with 2.5 hr drive just to get to the Harbor, locked my keys in the truck, kicked out the rear slider, dropped a brand new uniden VHF radio overboard in the slip, hire a diver tomorrow, depth finder not working, no problem I still have last years marks, pot one over, good!  Pot two over, oops buoys go right under!  Well?  Nothing I can do, pot three over and good, 4,5,6,7 all good.
Run back pull pot one, one keeper, back down with it, hey look there's pot two!  Check it empty, pot three pulled, empty over the side, hey is that a tangle I see in the line?  Yeah that looks like a tangle alright!  Zip under goes the first bout, zip under goes the second bouy.  Alright run back to the Harbor, tie off rinse down get the hell out of there before something bad happens!

theswimmer

David,
I've done that brand new VHF radio thing.
My condolences........
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

swill88

Quote from: David Hall on February 16, 2016, 12:58:19 AM
So my crab fishing journey began Friday with 2.5 hr drive just to get to the Harbor, locked my keys in the truck, kicked out the rear slider, dropped a brand new uniden VHF radio overboard in the slip, hire a diver tomorrow, depth finder not working, no problem I still have last years marks, pot one over, good!  Pot two over, oops buoys go right under!  Well?  Nothing I can do, pot three over and good, 4,5,6,7 all good.
Run back pull pot one, one keeper, back down with it, hey look there's pot two!  Check it empty, pot three pulled, empty over the side, hey is that a tangle I see in the line?  Yeah that looks like a tangle alright!  Zip under goes the first bout, zip under goes the second bouy.  Alright run back to the Harbor, tie off rinse down get the hell out of there before something bad happens!

Great report and I admire your attitude... what's the solution?  must be a contractor?

steve

David Hall

Quote from: swill88 on February 16, 2016, 02:04:33 AM
Quote from: David Hall on February 16, 2016, 12:58:19 AM

Great report and I admire your attitude... what's the solution?  must be a contractor?

steve
l

Hah! Good guess I was a contractor for 30 hrs, been a DSA project inspector the past 17.  But hard learned attitudes don't change overnight!

Reel 224

A bad day of fishing/Crabbing beats a good day at the office. Great attitude!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."