Shimano GX1000 trip lever spring repair

Started by lostangler, February 16, 2016, 10:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostangler

Hi There, this is my first post here but I have been using this great website for years to assist with my tuning conventional reels. I have a query now which (for a change) I cannot find an answer to straight up.
The other day my mother found a reel which I bought over 20 years ago with pocket money I had saved. It has not seen the light of day for almost fifteen years and was the worse for wear. I am fond of the thing as it has helped me land some great fish, including all freshwater fish in UK and some pretty tough trevally in Mozambique, not to mention the tigerfish of the Zambezi. So I am attached, you might say.
This evening I tried to rejuvenate the little fella but I have hit a wall. I have taken it apart and cleaned the major moving parts and re-greased it as best I could, but I have been unable to open up the main rotor with any confidence as I don't have schematic (or the skills) to put it back together. I did however loosen the rotor and what I found was that the trip lever spring was rattling around within the rotor. The anti reverse had not been working and I I identified the problem, but I just couldn't see how to get it back in place. Also the bail arm isn't turning over as smooth as I'd like.
So, can someone point me in the direction of guidance on repairing a trip lever spring mechanism and servicing the bail arm mechanism so that I can once again enjoy this fine (if rather modest) little reel again?
Thanks in advance everyone.
Mark

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

lostangler

Hey,
Thanks so much. This is tomorrow night's fun and games sorted then.
Weird that there is no schematic for this reel published anywhere, or at least not that I could find. It may have something to do with how budget it was.
You're right though, this looks to be precisely the diagram I need. Thanks again.
Best,
Mark

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL