Do avets get smoother over time

Started by Wicho5981, February 14, 2016, 02:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicho5981

I had avet mxl for like 2 years and it feels so smooth compared to my newer avet what you guys think?

akfish

Sounds like there may be an issue with your new reel...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

russ1962

My oldest SX (3 yrs. old) has a smoother/ looser feel than my newer reels.
The newer reels feel just a tad bit tighter.

Wicho5981

It's a jx raptor have it set 13.2 at strike it feels really smooth in low gear but in high its not very smooth

cbar45

Probably unlikely in your case, but if the line-lay is uneven anywhere in the spool, it can produce a vibration reeling in high gear that can be mistaken as gear or bearing noise. Does it feel the same in high gear no matter how slowly you turn the handle?

Chad

FatTuna

I think it's the opposite......

I think the pinon bearing goes bad eventually and the handle gets hard to turn.

Did you take the new one apart at all?

What are the gear ratios? A higher gear ratio will require more force to turn the handle. If the MX has a much lower ratio it might make a difference.

Wicho5981

It feels a bit rough in the beginning but after I start reeling in faster it feels a lot smoother

FatTuna

Quote from: Wicho5981 on February 14, 2016, 05:52:44 AM
It feels a bit rough in the beginning but after I start reeling in faster it feels a lot smoother

You buy it new or used?

Wicho5981

Mxl 5:8:1 jx is 6 in high and 3 in low

Wicho5981

FatTuna

Those gear ratios are pretty similar that's probably not it.

Does it feel rough or does it just feel harder to turn?

Some of the older ones had different, softer gears inside. These are probably stainless which could feel a bit "rougher" if they are different. Do you know what type of gears the old one has?

Wicho5981

cbar45

Quote from: Wicho5981 on February 14, 2016, 05:52:44 AM

Looks like you can rule out an unbalanced spool as cause for the reel not feeling smooth in high gear. Also unlikely that a damaged pinion bearing will feel smooth in low gear, but rough in high; it would feel rough and difficult to turn no matter what gear your in.

Might want to examine the high speed gear set if you're comfortable taking the reel apart--type of gears, any damage, etc.
Otherwise try contacting Avet. In my experience they are very helpful when it comes to any issue involving their reels.

Chad

FatTuna

Only thing that can think of is that the drag got pushed up high and the pinon bearings was damaged.

In general, I've noticed those reels become significantly harder to turn as you ramp up the drag on them. Just the way they are.

Maybe try setting the drags at 8lbs on each and compare.

Wicho5981

They feel about the same at that drag setting but I may of damaged the pinion bearing. When I received it I was playing with it and buttoned down the drag and I heard a little pop.