I Have Five Greases in the Shop. Which One for Baitcaster Gears?

Started by Josh Smith, January 24, 2016, 10:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Grease Do You Prefer?

Abu Garcia with PTFE
2 (16.7%)
Penn Precision Reel Grease (Blue Stuff)
7 (58.3%)
Ardent Reel Butter
2 (16.7%)
Quantum Hotsauce
1 (8.3%)
Berkely Grease
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Josh Smith

Hello,

I'm putting this poll up to see what you prefer.

I went fishing today in 33°F weather.  I'd used Ardent Reel Butter when I broke down and cleaned my Ambassadeur reels this past fall.  It seemed to work well then, but in the cold the reels felt a bit dry.  I have a feeling the grease got chunky, but I didn't have time to tear down a reel to see.

I've heard bad things about Quantum, so I'm not going to use it.  It'll probably be between the Abu Garcia grease and the blue Penn grease.  I remain unsure about the Berkley.

What do you all think?

Regards,

Josh

Tightlines667

I have heard the Ardent or Diawa grease is good for these smaller reels.  I wouldn't rule out the Cals purple either.  Penn Blue thinned a bit with reel X will also do the job.  The type of grease used is less important then regular maintainance and proper lubrication IMHO.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Hi Josh --

Cal Sheets and his son recommend the new purple they sell for really cold weather fishing.  

It is a little thinner.

The regular grease they sell is for every part of the reel, including the drags -- Purple is for all of the reel also.

I can only justify using it on the drags -- due to the cost, and the amount of reels I service.

Plus, I really like the Yamaha Blue Marine grease for basically all reels.

Reel Butter is very good -- and basically any of these greases can be thinned down.

John is right -- regular maintenance, and some reelX added to your choice of grease will work fine.

The grease just has to stay where you apply it -- and not be too thin to run out.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Quantum Hot Sauce will discolor the reels internals and frame. Shimano has denied warranty repairs when they find evidence of Hot Sauce in a reel sent to them.  I wasn't impressed by Ardent, it felt gritty and pasty, never seemed to coat gear teeth, just roll around until it fell off the surfaces I wanted coated.  Ardent makes nothing themselves whether it be reels or cleaning products, I don't trust them or their products after many many breakdowns of their american made reels, now long into history.  Penn grease and Daiwa blue grease has been o.k. in my use but I've grown to prefer Rocket Fuels Liquid Grease which is almost identical to Phil Wood's Tenacious Oil.  Both stay on surfaces through a wide range of temps.