Penn Battle 6000 Clicking

Started by roost1, January 24, 2016, 12:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roost1

I have a battle that is making an awful high pitched clicking noise.
It does it with the spool on or off.
The inside is very clean and it looks new.
It sounds like its coming from the shaft.

handi2

See if the 2 screw holding the spool shaft are loose. Some of them also had a counterweight hidden in the rotor. Take the covers off the rotor and look inside for a small brass counterweight. They do come loose.

Also the anti reverse bearing could be dry but I doubt it.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Penn

Quote from: roost1 on January 24, 2016, 12:37:27 PM
I have a battle that is making an awful high pitched clicking noise.
It does it with the spool on or off.
The inside is very clean and it looks new.
It sounds like its coming from the shaft.

Roost,

You need to remove the rotor and check the backup a/r, part # 10 and 12 on the schematic.  This is most likely what is causing the noise.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/407-BTL6000

tony

roost1

It was the AR bushing spring that came out.
I broke the crosswind block when I put it back together.
Is there a trick I need to know to keep it from binding when I put it back together?

johndtuttle

Quote from: roost1 on February 07, 2016, 03:00:28 PM
It was the AR bushing spring that came out.
I broke the crosswind block when I put it back together.
Is there a trick I need to know to keep it from binding when I put it back together?

Any chance you can post photos? I am wondering how on earth you broke the crosswind block ???

Oh, gotcha, when your are placing it back in the reel if you let the rotor spin without the block properly positioned it can bind up. When attached to the Main Shaft it will never bind.

When you are doing it, position the stud on the Oscillation Gear to the very rear and place the Crosswind Block over it, do not rotate the rotor in any way. Slide the Main Shaft in, position it and get the screw(s) on and tight. You should be able to do this without the main gear in place. Then put in the Main (Drive) Gear and with a little wiggling seat it in the Oscillation Gear and right side plate. No worries if you have to do it with the main gear in place, just don't let the rotor spin.

The Trouble is when the Main Gear is in place you can get the Block bound up by letting the Rotor turn before the Main Shaft is replaced as the block will flop around and can get bound up. No need to experiment with the operation of the action until the main shaft properly secures the Block.

roost1

I turned it before I put the shaft in.
No way to back it off.
Waiting for parts now.

johndtuttle

Quote from: roost1 on February 07, 2016, 08:12:35 PM
I turned it before I put the shaft in.
No way to back it off.
Waiting for parts now.

If you have a little probe (ie dental pick set) then with some cautious prying you should be able to get it out if it is still in. I did the same thing you did but didn't jam it too hard and was able to get it out.