One pinion short in coffee can special LB 68, will jigmaster pinion work?

Started by thorhammer, February 27, 2016, 03:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

As per title working on a CCS 68; replaced head plate
Added star, handle and clamp bud appears the pinion I put in won't disengage from clutch. Possibly pinion from an 85. Will 500 pinion work, before I tear it back down to see for myself? I have extras. Or need I wait for 68 pinion?

Thanks!

John

RowdyW

You need a 49 pinion. It's the same in a 111,112,49L, 66, 67, 68, 268 etc.  500 pinion is different.   Rudy

foakes

Quote from: RowdyW on February 27, 2016, 03:54:53 AM
You need a 49 pinion. It's the same in a 111,112,49L, 66, 67, 68, 268 etc.  500 pinion is different.   Rudy

John --

If you do not have one for the 68 -- like Rudy sez, the above will work (and some others) -- if you have some skeletons of those hanging around.

If you do not have one -- I will send you one.

Got to get that reel out of the coffee can, and on the water.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Fred thanks! This was a real Fred special. Part of that estate sale, the frame and tail plate were in a bucket. Everything else was scattered amongst four parts trays which had to be dumped and scavenged; I think there were car parts and a blender motor mixed in.  I added some bits of my own and Ebay head plate and actually got it cleaned up well.  I will see if I have another pinion, this was the only one left in the junk pile after I built out three squidders and a 500s from the puzzle similarly. 
I know there is at the least a 488, 706, Calcutta 700s, 406,302, 408,and maybe a 710 left to assemble if all parts are there. I'm not touching the bucket of Cardinals.  I have to stop somewhere lol. 

John

sdlehr

John, I may have one of those pinions if it turns out that you still need one. I got some miscellaneous Penn parts cheap on the bay, there's a mixture of unidentified pinion gears...

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

Thanks, Sid --

Lot of help here, John ---

I have had a box of old Cardinals, mostly 6s, a couple of 4s -- with missing hamdles, and missing spools, and other parts missing.

When going through the spinner spools this week, found 5 new 6 spools, a couple of 4s, and one 3.

Found some new handles.

Harry offered to help locate any other parts that might be needed.

That is still a project down the road -- but worthwhile, as these old Swedish ABU Green and Tan Cardinals are nearly bulletproof when ready to fish.

Let us know if anything else is needed for your 68 -- they are good, high line capacity Long Beaches.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

akfish

I hate to be a buzz kill, but if you get a new pinion you really ought to replace the main gear as well. Over time the two gears wear together and replacing one without the other will end up with serious grinding gears.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Ron Jones

I've heard that a lot. And I agree that the theoretical ideal is to keep a set matched. But in all honestly I have swapped gears around hundreds of times without worrying about it and know of no problems ever. My experience is still a small enough sample to be anecdotal, but it has convinced me not to worry about it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

foakes

Bill is right of course -- good possibility to be aware of --

But it really comes down to inspecting and cleaning the main -- seeing how it operates with good grease applied -- then being aware that the main could also be an issue if you experience a little roughness or gear noise -- under load.

I too, have replaced hundreds of pinions without doing the main -- and sometimes have needed to replace both.

Try not to, though -- to save money for clients, and the pinion is the easier switch out, and generally the culprit -- since it rotates 3 or 5 times more than the main.  That is why a lot of mains are brass, and a lot of pinions are steel -- helps to equal out the wear over time.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Alto Mare

Yes, Bill is correct, but so are you Fred. Newell and Accurate use to sell their gears complete as a set, pinion and main. At times they even included drags in their package. Here at the opposite side of the coast I've never seen Penn sell gears as kits, I see them now, but never earlier on. Pinion and main were always sold separately.
It is good practice to replace both, but wen you're talking $80+  a set for the larger reels, it gets expensive quick.
Up to now, I have never run into a situation that I needed to replace both, but I do inspect my gears really closely. I also try rolling them with my fingers, not accurate, but after doing it for a long time, you get the feel.
Here is a good example that the two pinion could not be mixed replacing just one will not work.

notice the gears on the right, the teeth are very pointy
here is a closeup

and the gears on the left

Believe it or not, as bad as they look both gears are extremely smooth, actually smoother than the new set.
That would not be the case if a swap the pinions.
So, the bottom line is to check them first, as Fred mentioned and take it from there.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

I pretty much always replace both gears -- and with a Long Beach 68, the main gear is pretty inexpensive. On the other hand, if the original main gear is an older steel gear and looks good, you might be able to get way just replacing the pinion. But I'd still replace both.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

thorhammer

It was in fact 85 pinion.  No luck in the parts bins so I'm temporarily stuck. 

foakes

Let me know what you need, John --

I will send it out at N/C, if I have it -- which is likely.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.