Max drag a jigmaster 505/506 stock gear can take??

Started by Surfwrangler, February 26, 2016, 03:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surfwrangler

What's the consensus on a stock 3 stack ht-100 drag for a 505/506? Is 15lbs too much and will shred gears ?? I plan to get a ss sleave and dog and power handle on my 506. Can I push those drags to the max with out worrying about shredding my gears or am I going to need a set of ss gears from Alan c ???
Thoughts and opinions welcome

Alto Mare

You should be ok getting there at those numbers, but wouldn't stay there long. The 500 is rated at 15# max, your 505/506 has finer teeth therefore lower.
The latest heat treated gears from Alan C. do much better than both reels mentioned, but would give you other things to worry about. if you are installing Alan's gears in your 505/506, I wouldn't push it over 15#
The 500, loaded with all the options available today could be pushed to 20#, some might not agree, but I do believe it could handle it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MarkT

How much do you need?  I set my drag at 1/3 the rating for the line and 1/3 of 40# is 13# and I don't see fishing above 40# on a Jigmaster so that's fine.  I use my 99'd Jigmaster with 30# and it gets 13# plus easy.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mike1010

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 26, 2016, 03:36:11 AM
You should be ok getting there at those numbers, but wouldn't stay there long. The 500 is rated at 15# max, your 505/506 has finer teeth therefore lower.
The latest heat treated gears from Alan C. do much better than both reels mentioned, but would give you other things to worry about. if you are installing Alan's gears in your 505/506, I wouldn't push it over 15#
The 500, loaded with all the options available today could be pushed to 20#, some might not agree, but I do believe it could handle it.

Sal

Sal, are you talking about the gears you are currently testing?  How is that going?

Mike

Surfwrangler

I only have 30# on the reel at the moment and would fish 10lbs drag most of the time I just want to know if I could push I up to 15lbs if need be. I reckon I will put a ss sleave on it and ss dog and fish it. If I shred those brass gears I will by some ss ones! Thanks for the input guys!