Service spool bearing without removing cross pin

Started by sebastianr240, August 16, 2023, 11:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebastianr240

Im sure a good bit of you guys have come across the "non serviceable" spool bearings on shimanos like the torium and Trinidad on the spool shaft side. There has already been some great solutions to removing the pin by Alan and others, but I haven't seen this workaround that I did myself.

Since these bearings are shielded, removing the shield is necessary to clean them properly. This got me thinking if there was a way to remove the shield without the hassle of removing and replacing the pin. I used these sowing needles to remove the top shield and blasted the bearing with brake cleaner. Finished removing the shield by simply cutting it with a small tool suitable for the job. Got all the old oil/grease or whatever junk Shimano puts in there out. The pressure behind the brake cleaner makes the bearing spin which helped with removing all that was inside.

I did this because I was afraid there might have been sand in the bearing. Afterwards I sped up the drying process with a blow dryer and oiled the bearing.

The needles are skinny enough to fit in the gap and allow you to carefully pry the shield up. Proceed with caution so you don't damage the bearing with the sharp tip

alantani

very nice!  i've always pressed out the cross pin, then used a small hook point to remove the shield.  it works easily  most of the time, but not always.  i'll definitely keep this in mind!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sebastianr240

Quote from: alantani on August 18, 2023, 03:41:20 PMvery nice!  i've always pressed out the cross pin, then used a small hook point to remove the shield.  it works easily  most of the time, but not always.  i'll definitely keep this in mind!!!

Thanks. I was in a jam and didn't have the tools necessary to remove the pin. Didn't want any saltwater or sand marinating in there from the drop

Bryan Young

Great idea.  I've had to do something similar when I have good pinion bearing that are forever stuck in the side plate of a lever drag reel, but the bearing is still good, so I could hand pack it with grease.  Good time for the reels that have a spool pin.  Thank you for sharing as I have never thought about it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Be careful to not over spin the bearings, it can dammage them and there is a slight chance they will come apart at high velosity.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sebastianr240

Thankfully after cleaning and relubing everything seems to be sounding/feeling fine

Cor

I'll give this a try.   

Have had questionable success in removing shields and even pins.   One pin was so tight I ended up damaging the end, aggravating the problem.  These days I prefer not to remove them.
Cornelis