from wendy at izorline!

Started by alantani, February 22, 2016, 05:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Thanks I did miss something I didn't see that one could arrow down for more info. Silly me.

boon

Quote from: oc1 on February 22, 2016, 10:54:27 AM
For what it's worth, I was using a FG knot (finger handcuff type knot) to tie braid to leader but had one start to unravel not long ago and am now afraid of the FG.

This used to happen to me, I believe the key is making the first couple of half-hitches after you finish the wraps really tight. I also do 4 half-hitches with the braid and leader then 4 on the braid including the rizzuto to finish. Also giving the knot a hard pull before clipping the tags helps it settle.

We use the FG extensively over this way for mechanical jigging, the pressure you can put on it is insane... I once had to tie the mainline off to a cleat when I got snagged and drive the boat away, knot held with a minimum of deformation.

oc1

I would have said the same thing not long ago Boon.  Probably tied hundreds of the things using the hold-it-in-your-teeth method.  I don't know why this one started to unravel but the handcuff was elongated with a piece of leader sticking out of the side.  Luckily, it was making a clicking noise as it went through the guides so I put on my reading glasses to inspect.  Trouble is, if I give it my best, the knot looks and feels good, then fails later, I am paranoid for life.
-steve