tld star 15/30 and 20/40

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike1010 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

alantani

the handle grip makes it easy, doesn't it!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

basto

You could probably swap the bushing under the drive shaft for a bearing like some do with Toriums to further upgrade this great reel.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

FishGolfDrink

Quote from: alantani on May 12, 2012, 08:08:20 PM
the handle grip makes it easy, doesn't it!   ;D

The handle really is a "game changer"... I'm happy that I went with the largest size one, which you recommended.

alantani

looks like a perfect fit to me!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: FishGolfDrink on May 12, 2012, 07:00:33 PM
After reading this tutorial it inspired me to purchase and upgrade a tld star 15/30.

inspired me too but bought the 20/40 because it was the the one available for bidding on ebay. ease of maintenance, no brainer...

Danhans

at first i bought tld star 20/40 because i cant afford penn 113h..(it's very expensive in Malaysia)
now i am very happy with my purchase!! will order this handle from Alan too

usncporet

Used my Christmas gift 20/40 for the first time yesterday on a Rock Fish trip. Loved the reel, had a blast on the trip!
Next trip is in a few weeks so will have time to order a new handle and some bearings and have them on and ready to go.

David Bentley

Easy as when it's done by an expert and the reel is a good design.

Alan, curious to know why you coat the inside of the non-corrosive frames with grease.

Dave

redsetta

G'day Dave,
Bryan summed this up well some time back:
QuoteSalt tends to stick to graphite frames, probably because it's not a smooth surface.  By greasing, it does not allow the salt water to stick to the frame, and slides out through any of the openings in the reel.
Link here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=710.msg13475#msg13475
Hope that helps.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dave Bentley

Quote from: redsetta on June 20, 2012, 06:51:54 AM
G'day Dave,
Bryan summed this up well some time back:
QuoteSalt tends to stick to graphite frames, probably because it's not a smooth surface.  By greasing, it does not allow the salt water to stick to the frame, and slides out through any of the openings in the reel.
Link here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=710.msg13475#msg13475
Hope that helps.
All the best, Justin

Aha, no new questions, just find the appropriate answers.

That makes sense, thanks Justin and Bryan. Another excuse to strip them all down again.
Only believe that which you know to be true.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

I'm Dave and I love a cold beer on a hot day.

may i add while fishing... :)

alantani

Quote from: David Bentley on June 20, 2012, 06:42:26 AM
Easy as when it's done by an expert and the reel is a good design.

Alan, curious to know why you coat the inside of the non-corrosive frames with grease.

Dave

yeah, the salt sticks to everything .......   :-\

tunacommy

Well - this was a great tutorial...but, it did not solve my TLD problem  :'(  I think there is a problem with the little gear that slides up into the big main gear when the "line out" lever is engaged.  Someone used the reel and tried pulling it out of gear when stuck on the bottom with a moving boat....it has never been the same.  It will not "freespool" freely....

I put the new carbontex Smoooooth drags in thinking that might have been the problem.  Plus the new bearings.  If someone wants this thing for parts....let me know and I will send it out.  If you think it is worth something .... I am in the market for something similar for cod/bluefish/stripers!  

It is a 15/30 and is actually in pretty good shape.

usncporet

Wow! So tempted tunacommy! You can fix it though, I know you can.  :)

alantani

send it over and let me take a look!