tld star 15/30 and 20/40

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easybreezey and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

alantani

the old ones have canvas.  not sure about new ones.  i do not think it's a hard carbon washer like the ones in the old trinidads, but i don't think i've ever opened one up that had anything but canvas.  either way, i just toss the stock washer and install carbon fiber also. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Faldie

Hey
So i recently got a tld 20/ 40 s from a friend who started having some trouble with it mostly due to lack of routine maintenance.
Anyways, so i took it upon myself to try and save the reel, after replacing necessary parts and the recommended ones i still have a problem.
The reel's been assembled, greased and lubed as required however it still makes a grinding sound which i think is eminating from the contact made between the drive gear and the pinion gear.
My question is, is this normal? If not, how do i get rid of the sound?
Any assistance in this regard would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Faldie

Tile

First check the handle side bearing for noise. You should open it up and see if it's corroded or not. Secondly have a look at the gears and check for any abnormalities (burrs, wear marks).
In solid fiberglass we trust

alantani

if it's a steady growl, check the gear teeth for evidence of wear.  chances are you will find some. 

Faldie

Thanks for the responses.

The reel was used only thrice by the guy who gave it to me. He waded quite deep left the reel unattended to for a while which caused the washers to get seized together, which were subsequently replaced.
The gears look fine, no signs of corrosion. I've grease it as much as possible but the sound persists.
The drive shaft that the drive gear and all the washers go on to is quite "wobbly" before putting the gears and washers on to it. Is this normal.
The drive shaft is held in place with the little clip that slide over the bottom end of the shaft with a washer just beneath the clip. Is there anything missing there perhaps.

The sound is audible when you turn on the handle, you don't feel it when turning but the sound is there.
It's not excessive, should i ignore it? I'm just used a really smooth sound on my reels.

Thanks for the help guys.

alantani

Faldie

Any assistance with this perhaps:

The drive shaft that the drive gear (main gear) and all the washers go on to is quite "wobbly" before putting the gears and washers on to it. Is this normal?

I see some wear on the pinion gear, not a lot. could that be the cause.
I'll replace it over the weekend, hopefully it solves my problem. If not, then i don't know.  :'(

Thanks again  ;D

Tile

The slight wobble on the drive shaft is normal when the reel is disassembled for maintenance.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Faldie

Thanks
Started wondering if if another part or two went missing.

Miller 197

Hi all,

The names Chris. only just found this page and I am a first time poster!

Ive got a TLD star drag reel... It is a 'triton GT' stardrag reel.. but from what i have seen they are quite simular to the 15/30.

My only problem with the reel is that when in strike mode and i place it in the rod holder line will still come off the reel and the handle will spin backwards..Anti reverse must be gone.  I cant ever put the reel down or use it for trolling as i have to keep the handle from going backwards which is frustrating at times.  When i hold the reel with my hand on the handle it works fine and there is no problems

Does anyone know what could cause this problem?? Or knows how to fix this problem??

Thanks
Chris

SoCalAngler

Check the anti reverse pawl or the pawl spring. Part numbers 37 and 39

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/userpics/TLD1530S_v1_m56577569830498879.pdf

Edit: On the first post of this thread check the 28th picture. It showes the pawl and spring pretty good.

Miller 197

Cheers SoCal ill give that a go tonight and let you's know how it goes.

Miller 197

Stripped it down and turned out out the reverse pawl wasnt seated correctly onto its groove. Easy fix just re-seated it and gave everything a light grease before reassemble. Good as new!

alpharo

When targeting Tuna with a TLD 15/30s what size of tuna should I realistically using this for? Also how heavy of a line do you normally fish with this reel? I have two rod that I have in mind for pairing this up with. I hope you guys can give me some pointers.

Shimano Terez TZC80MH
Shimano Terez TZC70H

I'm going on a 1.5 day out of San Diego next week so I just want to be ready for if the bluefins are biting.

Thanks,
Dave