12/0 missing Marlin?

Started by Lowprofile, February 22, 2016, 10:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowprofile

My 12/0 and a friends both dont have the Marlin picture on the side plate like a lot of senators. Do most 12/0's have it? When did they start or stop printing the Marlin on them?

TomT

I recently posted that a couple of years ago I purchased a Penn 12/0 on this site, BUT I wrong--I bought a Penn 14/0. ::)    It has a red knob and also has a Marlin on the side.  I would be interested to learn the era of these reels.  Thanks,
TomT

Shark Hunter

I can't explain that one. Some of mine have it, some don't.
I'm pretty sure all 14/0 and 16/0's have it.
Life is Good!

Army_of_One

It's just a guess, but could it be when the bushings became bearings?  I don't have anything to verify that with, but it seems a different plate would help ID.
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

All of my 12 and 10/0's are bearing models Robin.
I see no Rhyme or Reason why some do and some don't.
Life is Good!

Army_of_One

I knew you would have enough to compare them.  ;) Do you know if the clicker is different between them?  Not to discount your collection, but we do have a habit of mix-matching parts.  I've learned not to try to age a reel by it's handle because of this.
Another day in Paradise!

sdlehr

Quote from: Army_of_One on February 23, 2016, 02:15:30 PM
we do have a habit of mix-matching parts.  I've learned not to try to age a reel by it's handle because of this.
Mike mentioned several times in his books that handles were easily and frequently changed and are not a good indicator of reel age. All reels came with wrenches, and anyone could swap out handles between reels.  Penn made it more difficult than most because of their habit of using up all parts before switching to new batches; a single model from a single year could have been sold with a variety of different parts as they worked their way through the parts bins. I'm not aware of a model that switched handles in the middle of a production run, but I bet there are multiple examples....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Army_of_One on February 23, 2016, 02:15:30 PM
I knew you would have enough to compare them.  ;) Do you know if the clicker is different between them?  Not to discount your collection, but we do have a habit of mix-matching parts.  I've learned not to try to age a reel by it's handle because of this.
All the clickers on mine seem to be the same Robin. If I have to replace one, it is usually from being too tight or too loose. I just grind the rivet off and replace it with the new e-clip design.
Life is Good!